Fly Tying
MuskyFlyGuy

Need help with pattern design

My wife has been kicking my butt on bass for the last couple of years. She has had a lot of success with this lipless crank bait. Does anyone have any suggestions on a fly pattern I could tie to replicate this lure so I could get in the game. The lure is slightly over four inches.

Thanks,

Tom

post-35105-0-00081300-1452807382_thumb.j

post-35105-0-00081300-1452807382_thumb.jpg

If that's a rattle trap good luck, the move violently side to side and make a ton of noise and vibration, you could tie something like a sex dungeon or another articulated fly with a rattle that will Gove you some action and noise

The good old Rattle Trap or a close relation. Subsurface with rattles and a lot of wiggle. A couple of possibilities that I would try. One is something like this

post-309-0-81355000-1452809154_thumb.jpg

You get the basic shape and you could tie a couple of rattles to the bottom of the shank. You'd have to use rod to impart the action

The other would be a Crease fly. I tie mine on articulated shanks or flutter bait forms. It allows you to tie one 3 or 4 inches long, and you can do articulated ones. Very easy to add rattles and you can impart action by how you center the hook in the mouth and how big or deep the mouth is. Fished off of an intermediate line or sink tip I've done very well with them on smallmouth. And it works as a top water to. Here's one tied on a flutter spoon form it's about 3 inches long. Can't remember if it has rattles. Not a great picture.

post-309-0-66941000-1452810872_thumb.jpg

I've got a jointed one that runs 4 inches with a buck tail dressed treble on the back that has a very loud rattle inside. I can cast it with my 6 wgt. I'll try and take a better picture of that one.

A 3 or 4 shank articulated weighted fly would work well, they also sell plastic lips for the front of your fly if you want to go that route

If she fishes it how I've fished rat l traps, with a sharp, fast, jigging retrieve, it's gonna be hard to duplicate that speed. I'd say a slider or dahlberg diver with a rattle fished on a heavy sinking line would be as close as you could get.

If she fishes it how I've fished rat l traps, with a sharp, fast, jigging retrieve, it's gonna be hard to duplicate that speed. I'd say a slider or dahlberg diver with a rattle fished on a heavy sinking line would be as close as you could get.

The speed isnt to hard put the rod under your arm and strip with both hands, that's how we get cudas to eat!

Can't help but think of the famous exchange between Halford and Marriott. On the day in question Halford was not catching; he heard that elsewhere on the stream Marriott was. He despatched his coachman to enquire of Marriott what fly he was using. The answer came back "the Driver". Halford sent the coachman back with the message, "Unfamiliar with that fly, please supply dressing". The coachman returned with the message, "Mr Marriott says, "Its not the fly, its the driver.""

Sorry.

If it is the movement you are after, then try using Marc Petitjean's Magic Heads on the front of one of the flies already mentioned.

Cheers,

C.

Look at the Niklas Bauer Pike flies with seehps fleece heads.
The massive heas causes the side to side movements and the wiggle tails he is using causes a lot of movement.

Finally, the rattles on his hook-rigs gives the rattling...

And as a bonus, a fly can stay suspended longer during a pause in retrival.

I have just because of that weightless suspension caught massive amounts of pikes, outfishing spin-people (don't like to call the fishermens or anglers ;-) ).

(not sure it's the right video, my youtube behaves strangely...)

/H