Fly Tying
tucents

Scientific Anglers Combo

Whats everyones opinion on this combo? It will be my new beginner combo, its currently on sale for 119. Im worried that if i hook a large bass or pike it would break the rod. thoughts and opinions greatly appreciated! just seems more economic for me as of now. Just want to get back into the sport.

http://www.amazon.com/Scientific-Anglers-Fly-Fishing-Outfits/dp/B00CWMGG9S

I've had one of those in the past. They're a heavy rod for the line weight. The reel will be a click type, plastic reel.

They work, but they wear out your wrist and arm because of the weight ... like swinging a tree branch.

I recommend this, instead.

http://www.basspro.com/White-River-Fly-Shop-Dogwood-Canyon-Fly-Outfits/product/98580/

I've got two and I love them. The rods are light but strong enough, I'm hoping to catch a 5+ pound bass on one. The reel is a non-clicking, adjustable drag metal reel. Floating line that's good for a couple of years.

I started out with a combo like this; mine was made by Cortland. They're a great way to get into the sport for not too much money, but you want to do some research and make sure you're getting decent quality components.

With this specific combo, the only thing I'd have too much concern about is the graphite reel. Graphite will break if you drop it on rocks, I can tell you from experience.If you're set on getting an all-in-one combo, I'd look for one with an aluminum reel, myself.

I would imagine that the line and leader are decent quality, as those two products are primarily what SA is known for making. The rod should be okay--not a high-end fly rod, but perfectly serviceable. I'd get the 7-8 wt. combo if you plan on fishing for bass of any size. If you catch a fish that can break a 7-8 wt. rod, you'll have one hell of a story to tell. :) Seriously, though, I wouldn't worry about the rod breaking--not from fighting a fish, anyway. Most fly rods that get broken are victims of car doors, trunk lids, etc.

You didn't say what your total budget for tackle was, but, in case you feel like doing some comparison shopping, here are some similarly-priced combos--prices ranging from $79.99 - $159.99 that all have good quality components (including cast aluminum reels) that would put you in good shape.

http://www.basspro.com/White-River-Fly-Shop-Dogwood-Canyon-Preassembled-Fly-Outfits/product/96504/

http://www.basspro.com/White-River-Fly-Shop-Hobbs-Creek-Complete-Fly-Outfit/product/1506251100/#desc-tab

http://www.cabelas.com/product/fishing/rod-reel-combos/fly-fishing-rod-reel-combos|/pc/104793480/c/104762880/sc/105571980/cabela-s-three-forks-prestige-reg-plus-fly-combo/2219695.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Ffly-fishing-rod-reel-combos%2F_%2FN-1104843%2FNs-CATEGORY_SEQ_105571980

http://www.cabelas.com/product/fishing/rod-reel-combos/fly-fishing-rod-reel-combos|/pc/104793480/c/104762880/sc/105571980/redington-174-crosswater-fly-combo/2063885.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Ffly-fishing-rod-reel-combos%2F_%2FN-1104843%2FNs-CATEGORY_SEQ_105571980

http://www.cabelas.com/product/fishing/rod-reel-combos/fly-fishing-rod-reel-combos|/pc/104793480/c/104762880/sc/105571980/cabela-s-traditional-iii-prestige-reg-plus-fly-combo/2220972.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Ffly-fishing-rod-reel-combos%2F_%2FN-1104843%2FNs-CATEGORY_SEQ_105571980

Good luck in your search!

I'll never force my rods on anyone at all, so just want to put that out there first & foremost wink.png. I have a well enough established name to not have to do that anymore lol .With that said....That's not a bad combo by any means to get you started. For that price for the rod&reel....the rod will get you on the water, the reel....uhhhh, not great. Those combo reels suck IMO. Mostly plastic reels and the drag will break after a few uses. If you buy that then go to ebay and grab a $50 Okuma SLV reel to put on it and you'll be far ahead in the game IMO. Just tryin to point you in a good direction.

First, Are you fishing where there are large bass and pike ?

Second, in your profile you listed panfish as your favorite species. If that's mostly what you fish for then it doesn't make a lot of sense to gear up for large bass and pike at the get go. That could be something for a later purchase. And I agree with those saying to get a 7-8 wt rod in that case ( bass and pike fishing). The chances are slim that you will hook a bass or pike large enough to worry about it , at least on any kind of regular basis, when fishing with panfish flies. That encounter might be a chance thing that happens once in a decade if at all. So if you are targeting panfish go for a light weight rig. 3-4 wt would be good, a top end would be 5 wt and that could handle some bass fishing too. Pike are in the 8 wt class of rods.

All that said , I have landed 3lb bass on my 3 wt Cortland GF1000 graphite rod. It did well, it's a 7 ft 3 wt, the fly was a Muddler Minnow. It's also caught 17" brook trout and 17" land locked salmon and been fine. It is in reality my go too small brookie rod and panfish rod. i'm not suggesting that rod, just saying it worked.

It's not a bad rod, but just like most things, you get what you pay for, and to be accurate there, you need to compare it to other, similar offerings. This puts it at the bottom end of the fly fishing rod/reel/line spectrum.

I have the 5/6...it was my first fly rod and I fished the heck out of it, and caught plenty of fish. I even caught big, angry fish with it including a ~10lb Great Lakes steelhead that would likely be far harder on it than any bass or pike you would catch. I hooked, fought, and landed that thing with the SA 5/6 but I wouldn't say it was pretty or that I'd want to do it again...the fish destroyed my reel (it was free spooling in both directions and had visibly warped from the heat and stress), and I've never heard a rod make sounds like that one did while I fought. It was to the point that I was holding it away from my body and looking away from it because I was sure it was going to shatter and I didn't want to get shards of it in my eyes.

That said, it held up, and I went on to catch several fish on the rod that were more its size until I replaced it the next spring. The reel hasn't been placed in a reel seat since then.

Regarding other possible alternatives, you're not likely to find much of anything much cheaper, but if your budget allows, you can get much more for your money by adding to it. Personally, if I were you, I'd go with a Crosswater. the 5wt is a very capable all around rod and the reel, while plastic, seems fairly sturdy (as plastic reels go). While I'm sure many of the "store brand" rods are great, I've always tended to shy away from them, seeing them as the equivalent of "mystery meat". I've cast a few, but wouldn't own one.

Ah I'm having a hard time deciding now! I want to get on the water so bad and am itching to get out! I'm worried that a 5 wt is not heavy duty enough as bass can get up to about 4Lbs from where i am (London, Ontario).

I thank you for all you input just going to try and crunch some numbers on a tight budget right now due to going back to school for my apprenticeship . I previously have owned better rods (Okuma, Loop,TFO) than what i posted. Just wanted to see if people had major problems with this thing.

I Think i might just grab it to get on the water and move up the ladder form there! as for the reel i probably will end up upgrading to a 5/6 wt reel. And another question, if my rod is weighted for 5 weight line and i want to put 6 weight line, would it effect my casting abilities?

What weight are you interested in? Steve the moderator here has a custom built 5wt 5pcs rod he just made that's beautiful for $115

5/6 weight for sure, i was hoping for a combo so i don't have to piece it together! Thank you for your suggestion though.

I've had one of those in the past. They're a heavy rod for the line weight. The reel will be a click type, plastic reel.

They work, but they wear out your wrist and arm because of the weight ... like swinging a tree branch.

I recommend this, instead.

http://www.basspro.com/White-River-Fly-Shop-Dogwood-Canyon-Fly-Outfits/product/98580/

I've got two and I love them. The rods are light but strong enough, I'm hoping to catch a 5+ pound bass on one. The reel is a non-clicking, adjustable drag metal reel. Floating line that's good for a couple of years.

Is there a way i can check how much they are charging for it in canadian dollars besides doing currency conversion,

Sorry, that's a question I can't answer. I have no idea what it's like to buy across borders.

But you have a BPS in Ontario ...

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CFPageC?storeId=10151&catalogId=10051&langId=-1&appID=94&storeID=11&tab=3

Should be able to get what you want from there.

I recommend piecing an outfit together it's really not hard and you will probably be able to get something you will be much happier with in the long run or at least want to keep various parts of it. I pieced my outfit together and got far more for my money then I could have otherwise. I picked up a closeout 280$ sage for 111 and some closeout titan taper for 40$ off sierra trading post. I didn't have a rod I really wanted picked out or in the budget I got one of the shakespeare wild series 8 weights for 40$ I had to replace the tip because the one on it was small for the titan taper so it was like 42$. if you're on a budget the wild series is a good option for a rod in my opinion it handles both the titan tape and rio outbound sinking lines well and if I break it it's only 40$ even when I get a nicer rod it will probably be my most fished since I won't have to worry about breaking a nice one throwing tools in the truck before an after work fishing trip.

Just an FYI they have 6 weight titan taper on sierra trading post for 40 bucks compared to retail of 84 and it's a great line for bass fishing, way better than whatever will be in a kit.

tucents I am familiar with that combo, like stated above the rod will do the job, but that graphite reel could be a problem, you see the gear on the click and pawl is plastic and won't hold up for long landing big fish, unless you use it to just hold line and not put the fish on the reel. If you have to scratch the itch do it but you will have to upgrade down the road. Use the line it comes with it is castable.