Fly Tying
Joshpilon08

Hook organizer

I'll let you all know I find all your ideas to be pretty cool, but I was searching around my local harbor freight and found a neat box that has 24 smaller boxes inside of it for $4.99 so I bought two one try for hooks and the other for all my beads and such. I will post a picture when I get them all sorted out

It's not fancy looking but I found the absolute best way is to store them in the packs they come in in a box like you would your baseball cards. The hook boxes slide right in as well. I do have one tray compartment made for hooks with rounded bottoms for the mainstay hooks. If craft containers, pill bottles and such were better then hooks would be shipped that way. No sense in trying to build a better mouse trap for hook storage.

Me too. I just put hooks in their package into a small box - 4" x 4.5" x 2". I can store 50 packages of flat plastic bags like Tiemco, Daiichi, Orvis or Gamatsu. Within the box, it's very easy to flip through and find the right package. I store them from smallest to largest.

post-23704-0-95106800-1463327527_thumb.jpg

I like Craftmate storage boxes/system. Available at Michaels and other craft stores. Has a unique release system that requires you to push a release on the side of the box before any compartment will open. That way you can selectively open just one compartment. After having dumped a box of about 16 compartments once, this is a must for me. Come in at least 2 sizes including a set with cordura case that holds 6 or 7 of the smaller size.

I have 4 of the CraftMates 2XL 14 compartment boxes I used for thread and wire. I really like them. i have two Spirit River 20 compartment boxes I uses for hooks. If I didn't already have the Spirit River hook boxes I agree the CraftMates boxes would work really well.

At Micheals or some other arts and craft shop they sell small round clear plastic dishes with screw on caps. These dishes all fit into an tray so they stay together.

You can use a sharpie on a piece of tape to indicate what type of hook is inside.

I've seen those. I thought about using them for hooks too.

I used to use a multicompartment pill dispenser, but now I use a small, 4 drawer Rubbermaid type storage dealie, keeping the hooks in their original containers.

I have a rack of plano boxes that store all my hooks. Start with biggest/heaviest 4/0 hooks towards the bottom and smallest/lightest #24's at the top of the rack. It holds 14 boxes.

This is the rack: http://www.amazon.com/Organized-Fishing-Large-Utility-Capacity/dp/B007RGATWO?ie=UTF8&keywords=plano%20rack&qid=1465466443&ref_=sr_1_1&s=sporting-goods&sr=1-1

I use the deep boxes for the bigger hooks. These are the boxes I use for the top 2/3 of boxes where hooks are size 6 or smaller. Lots of shallow compartments, perfect for hooks: http://www.amazon.com/Plano-23701-00-Stowaway-Adjustable-Dividers/dp/B000E39T5K

I gave $20 shipped for the rack and about $7 each for the boxes. Well worth it.

I keep mine in the packages, but store the packages in plano terminal tackle boxes, sorted by size, type, and sw/fw.

Okay I have to ask. Do you guys have unlimited space at your tying desk? I just can't imagine having so much space where I can amplify the footprint of everything I have by ten for a solution to a problem that does not exist. How much space does everybody have? I'm feeling inadequate. I have not seen one idea that actually reduces the hook footprint or better organizes hooks then simply keeping them in their original packaging and putting them in a box in size order. I have seen some really pretty ways to organize but my god they would take up my entire area. Are we just chasing a ghost here?

Okay I have to ask. Do you guys have unlimited space at your tying desk? I just can't imagine having so much space where I can amplify the footprint of everything I have by ten for a solution to a problem that does not exist. How much space does everybody have? I'm feeling inadequate. I have not seen one idea that actually reduces the hook footprint or better organizes hooks then simply keeping them in their original packaging and putting them in a box in size order. I have seen some really pretty ways to organize but my god they would take up my entire area. Are we just chasing a ghost here?

Do you live in a little condo or something? Or does the wife wear the pants and dictate to you how much space you get for your stuff? ;)

Seriously though, in my storage rack system I've got tens of thousands of hooks neatly organized in the footprint of one plano box - not exactly poorly used space.

I actually have a wood shop, a great shed and a basement at my disposal. My basement is where my tying stuff is but it also shares space with a lure painting booth, Dillon reloading station, powder painting oven, and other goodies. I guess my problem is I have to lose a hobby.

I keep the hooks I use most in 10 compartment hook boxes. I use the little magnet sheets that come with 25 packs for small hooks and a piece of magnetic tape for larger hooks to keep things in place. These boxes are handy and can be quickly stuffed in a travel kit. I keep extra stock and less used hooks in a plastic drawer unit.

Hook%20Boxes%202_zpsgrvzok0r.jpg

Hook%20Box%20Open%202_zpsb7h45fda.jpg

Hook%20stock%202_zps2imtt5sr.jpg

On 5/12/2016 at 4:42 AM, Bruce M said:

At Micheals or some other arts and craft shop they sell small round clear plastic dishes with screw on caps. These dishes all fit into an tray so they stay together.

You can use a sharpie on a piece of tape to indicate what type of hook is inside.

Yup.... got a few dozen... hooks beadheads chain .... work great