Fly Tying
FlatsRoamer

First Fish on my own Fly!!!

I did it, I DID IT!! After so much time, money, and effort I finally caught my first fish on my own fly! I caught it on a white (on top ;) and pink Clouser. I sight fished this guy and it took about 25 casts, it was caught on a size 2 Mustad 34007 hook, is that too big,small? It did miss the fly about 20 times. Anyways, the pride I now behold in myself is beyond words. In short, I am just really really really(get the idea) happy that I caught my first peacock ever, and to do it on my own fly was more than special. Its not a monster, but a great start nonetheless.post-59033-0-31693300-1463341425_thumb.jpg

Well you'll never look at fishing the same again. Congratulations. I've never had the opportunity for peacocks but I would certainly like one.

Apparently your fly was neither too big nor too small if you caught the fish with it. Don't be afraid to downsize, but then most of us have caught tiny fish on flies which seem too big. No matter what any of us think, the fish are the only ones who have the final say on whether our flies are "right" or not.

Nice fish, Flats ... congrats on catching a fish on one of your clousers.

Just my opinion ... people holding a rod in their teeth look idiotic. It's too big to comfortably fit, most grips are ... less than clean and it's just ... who holds a rod in their mouth?

Set the rod leaning against you, or on the ground, over your shoulder ... just not in your mouth.

Awesome job! Even cooler getting your first on a peacock. I grew up in Miami and loved catching peacocks, they fight way harder than large mouth although they don't jump. Unfortunately I didn't start fly fishing until after I moved from there. I did have a lot of success on fire tiger plugs so similar colors on a clouser would probably work well. Something like this

post-18514-0-24288000-1463354535_thumb.jpg

I also used to do very well with them on topwater, both poppers and buzz baits, so maybe try a popper

post-18514-0-34567900-1463354588_thumb.jpg

I agree with the above poster, your outlook on fishing will change forever

Lol Mike funny you say that, the guy (my friend) who took the picture said " Hey,put the rod in your mouth so we look like we're the cool kids who ACTUALLY catch fish". But yes the trip was probably full of dirt and bacteria, who cares, I caught my first peacock on my own fly!!

laugh.png I am definitely NOT trying to put any dampers on that. It's a great feeling, catching a fish on your own creation.

I am also not a "clean freak" ... so the "unclean" aspect is just something to think about, you know, when you're sitting on "the throne" rapidly losing your innards (or so it feels.)

Just doesn't look "right" in my eyes. I've never been accused of being one of the cool kids, so maybe the cool kids ARE eating their rod handles.

Way to go! I haven't bought a fly in decades. I figure I've got about $100 for each fly I tie, or maybe it's money in the bank as I have way too much materials.

Great start landing a peacock bass ! A Carlos Hidalgo book South Florida's Peacock Bass was published back in 1997 if you're looking for more fly patterns.

It wont be long before you will be needing professional help for the new addiction. Welcome to the club!

Congrats... and after you've worn out the neighborhood peacocks you might want to think about a road trip.... Most of the canals along the Tamiami trail (US 41 -it's SW 8th St on the Miami side of things....) hold fish that are perfect for a fly rod (particularly the canals just west of where S.R. 29 crosses the Trail (the turn off to Everglades City...). No peacocks but you'll be getting shots at snook, baby tarpon, and others.... For additional info look up Steve Kantner and anything he's written about fishing. For years he was one of the only guides in south Florida who worked from his car (his ads listed him as the Land Captain...). If you do run across him tell him I said Hi... I don't think he's still guiding but he knew every roadside ditch, canal and landlocked pond from here all the way across to Naples...