Fly Tying
GC59

Stripping basket WHY?

Use a plastic tub and put upright pieces of dowel on the bottom, secured by screws through the bottom. I bet you could find a DIY basket on youtube.

I DIY'd one for the sole purpose of using it while fishing from my kayak. Eventually, I'm going to rig it up to wear when I'm fishing grassy banks that always seem to snag line... I don't usually use one when I'm wading.

I think I made three of my own baskets that either cracked from use or had other little issues. Finally splurged and bought the Line Curve about three years ago. Never looked back.

I DIY'd one for the sole purpose of using it while fishing from my kayak. Eventually, I'm going to rig it up to wear when I'm fishing grassy banks that always seem to snag line... I don't usually use one when I'm wading.

You describe exactly the type of fishing I do. What did you use for your DIY. I fish out of a Trident Prowler. It had loads of snags, all around.....

An all-plastic mini-shopping basket that most grocery stores provide shoppers makes a great basket. All it needs is a nylon belt and some type of dowels screwed into the bottom to keep the coils separated. They are already ported so they don't fill up with water. I have one strapped to my poling platform at all times, and use it whenever I stop to wade fish the flats. On the deck I use a Fiskar leaf basket with a tube filled with lead sinkers attached to the perimeter of the bottom for weight, and dowels once again screwed to the bottom.

You describe exactly the type of fishing I do. What did you use for your DIY. I fish out of a Trident Prowler. It had loads of snags, all around.....

It's just an 8 qt. dish pan and two bungie cords that were part of a set of foam scupper stoppers (can't remember who made them).

IMG_2185-1.jpg

I've made a couple, bought one that was like a spring loaded box of netting because Mr.Kreh said it was his favorite. Hated them all. Using them drove me batty, never seemed to hold the line, just spill it all over. Didn't need it in the yak. Don't need it on the jon boat. Walking the gulf beach where I live is like standing ankle deep in a bath tub. Wading the flats I am targeting the mangrove shoreline. Bass fishing, the grass/weeds/mud at my feet hasn't destroyed my lines. I cannot recall missing a fish, losing a fish or tangling my line in itself or floating weeds. I have used a loop clip on my belt and found that useful. I hated using, wearing and coping with a basket. If I had to use a basket to fly fish successfully I would go back to baitcasting. To each their own....

I've made a couple, bought one that was like a spring loaded box of netting because Mr.Kreh said it was his favorite. Hated them all. Using them drove me batty, never seemed to hold the line, just spill it all over. Didn't need it in the yak. Don't need it on the jon boat. Walking the gulf beach where I live is like standing ankle deep in a bath tub. Wading the flats I am targeting the mangrove shoreline. Bass fishing, the grass/weeds/mud at my feet hasn't destroyed my lines. I cannot recall missing a fish, losing a fish or tangling my line in itself or floating weeds. I have used a loop clip on my belt and found that useful. I hated using, wearing and coping with a basket. If I had to use a basket to fly fish successfully I would go back to baitcasting. To each their own....

Finally after 23 posts someone agrees, thanks brother.

You can also use zip ties looped through holes in the bottom of the plastic wash tub. The holes also serve as drains. Just stand them tall and cut back to the appropriate length.

My basket is a semi circular one made of nylon mesh that I bought from a catalogue decades ago.

Rocco

I made at least 5 baskets over the years and none of them ever lasted 2 full seasons without fixing 1 thing or another. I've had my Orvis stripping basket for 20+ years and never had to repair anything. Well worth the cost when you factor in a $10 and sometimes $25 off coupons Orvis usually come out with around some holidays.

I never use one, and that is why I need a new 5wt line. I fish pretty bare banks, sandy banks. No snags there but my line has a 3 ft. section starting where it first touches the ground when I retrieve after my typical cast. I just let it fall to the ground and I was not aware before that I step on that section every now and then and it is completely worn out over time.

I still don't think I am going to use one. I will just change my mechanics.

I never use one, and that is why I need a new 5wt line. I fish pretty bare banks, sandy banks. No snags there but my line has a 3 ft. section starting where it first touches the ground when I retrieve after my typical cast. I just let it fall to the ground and I was not aware before that I step on that section every now and then and it is completely worn out over time.

I still don't think I am going to use one. I will just change my mechan

Oyster beds are my nemesis!