Fly Tying
Bimini15

How many spools of thread do you own?

Two boot boxes full, however many that is. That's mostly Danville or Uni . I also have a couple of shoe boxes ( about 6x12 ) full of Pearsalls tying silk and floss. I don't think 30 is obscene at all .

Somewhere around 600+...

PT/TB

I have to ask. Why?

Because that is what I have collected and used over the past 42 years...tongue.png

PT/TB

If we do not count in my pearsalls gossamere I have 2! Types...

UTC70 in white and a kevlar for pike flies.

Then I have quite a number of promarkers to color the thread when needed (typically for the head...)

Because that is what I have collected and used over the past 42 years...:P

PT/TB

Oh, ok. We thought you owned Danville or something...

Too many. And most of it I almost never use. Most of the time I use white 6/0 Danville for anything from dries to streamers. I try not to build massive heads so when I put a drop of head cement on a bucktail or whatever, it soaks in and makes it somewhat transparent, showing the colors of the materials underneath. I could probably get by for the rest of my life with white, tan/dirt-color, a medium olive, black, and a spool or two of chartreuse and fluorescent red. For things like deer hair bugs a couple sizes of white GSP covers everything. But in the end, it's more fun to have a drawer full of different stuff I have collected over the years. FR there is no need to feel at any sort of disadvantage by having a basic selection which covers your needs. If you stick with this hobby, by the time you're 45 or 50 you will have as much junk as the rest of us.

It is ok to hijack the thread. Heck...! You can keep it. Just planettrout alone has 599+ left... :D

When I pulled them out of the box my 10+ years old threads look mostly fine. Some of the UNI was suspect looking, curiously brown and tan only. But when I wrapped a hook in them and whip finished, the thread did not feel weak.

So, whether it was dust on the outer part of the spool that only showed in those colors or some kind of degradation of the thread or the pigments, I don't think it affected the thread by much.

I am sure others have a much better perspective on this.

At least 84 spools of tying thread, plus wire, tinsel, floss, Mylar, rod wrap threads, rib materials, and who knows what...

Stuff accumulates over time...

I don't know why but I've always kind of been embarrassed by how many spools of threads I have, almost like a hoarder.

But after reading this thread I feel much better about myself, I only have around 100 or so, you guys with 100+ are freaks 😉

68 spools of thread, please no one ask how many flies.

I'm sorry,but now I have to know,how many flies do you have ? ;0)

It is ok to hijack the thread. Heck...! You can keep it. Just planettrout alone has 599+ left... biggrin.png

When I pulled them out of the box my 10+ years old threads look mostly fine. Some of the UNI was suspect looking, curiously brown and tan only. But when I wrapped a hook in them and whip finished, the thread did not feel weak.

So, whether it was dust on the outer part of the spool that only showed in those colors or some kind of degradation of the thread or the pigments, I don't think it affected the thread by much.

I am sure others have a much better perspective on this.

Hey...when a good thing is about to go the way of the dodo bird, ya' snatch it up...

gudebrod-thread_zpsokybcrmo.jpg

PT/TB tongue.png