Fly Tying
FlatsRoamer

Worst Thing About Fly Tying

Don't worry, as long as they catch fish, then they are fine! My highly ​critiqued flies catch fish almost every time I go out. It is very true that they aren't direct copies of the original fly, but that will come with time. Just keep improving and testing them on the water!

poorly dyed marabou

just handling these feathers to get them out of their zip lock bag, your fingers turn to whatever color the marabou was dyed

the wapsi brand was the worse of the major brands that i have used lately

Cascade Crest marabou in black ....... the black gets on everything. I need to wash my hands after handling a single feather.

I'm the most unorganized person, I'm always looking for materials when its right infront of me
another thing that really bothers me is my cat. She steals my feathers and rabbit strips and what not and I spend forever looking for them around the house

1.) lacking time to execute said fly tying...

2.) As others have noted, not having time to fish all the flies you tie...

3.) When you forget your cool, newly tied flies on your desk...

Nah, overall, it's all good!

The "CLUNK". That's the sound of the bobbin hitting the deck of the vise when I had just tried to trim one more errant hair or feather up by the eye. Bad enough to break thread but when you cut it your self and hadn't followed the half hitch tip and watch your carefully wound hackle unwind is very discouraging.

Zip, I was sticking myself a lot with bendback flies and clousers when you went upside down. Thanks to a simple suggestion by FishingBobNelson I now keep a few chunks of foam on the table to bury hook point in. Too simple but it saves me sending flies on swaps that are pre-blooded.

I too suffer from poor organization. I really need to cut down on how much material I have. I spend the time getting things organized, start tying and next thing I know it's, where did such and such go...and the box and bag rummaging starts up again. I learned to tie with scissors on my right hand years back, which solved my "lost" scissors problem. I've replaced "missing" scissors several times only to find them some odd place.

Ordering marabou online. I'm picky about marabou and almost always buy blood marabou. I'd vastly prefer to be able to look it over in-hand before buying, but not having a fly shop in my state closer than a 90 minute drive makes that pretty rare. Half the time I order blood marabou and get the low quality junk. Pretty frustrating.

And mess. There aren't many things I hate doing more than cleaning, but every few weeks I have to sacrifice vise time to find my vise and tools lost under chunks of deer hair and packages of material.

Maybe not exactly something bad about tying itself, but more about my recent 7 month streamer junkie binge that I don't see subsiding any time soon. I've become completely addicted to browsing the web for new patterns and ideas to incorporate into existing ones. I will usually come across something at least once a week that makes me think, "hmmm, that'll probly work." It typically isn't more than a few days later I'm ordering materials online or making a run to the local fly shop. To the point now where I need to look into some extra storage. Again... is it necessarily a bad thing? Maybe not. My bank account has seen better days though.

7 month streamer junkie binge

It typically isn't more than a few days later I'm ordering materials online or making a run to the local fly shop.

It's the addiction !!!!

Somebody, get him to an intervention ... QUICK !!!!

Hurry, before he starts looking for ways to support his habit, like (shudder) selling flies on E-bay !!!!

What's so bad about selling flies on ebay? I do it now just to help offset the price of materials

My dream of funding a trip to the Patagonia was a fantasy.