Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
themattman

What leader

I've just found it to be easier to get my latest to land nice and straight if I do a tapered/knotted leader vs just straight mono.

Straight mono works well if your flies are large enough to carry themselves to the "end of the line". The smaller and lighter the fly, the more need there is to "diminish" the line momentum as it rolls out, letting it carry more of the distance.

It also depends on how wind resistant the fly is compared to weight which was more my problem. Even heavy stuff still casts better with a tapered leader

leader_fireline.gif

These leaders seem very bad to me. I can't see either one turning over anything well. Not sure why you keep posting this picture. On other threads you've posted what you actually use. It's not this. Is it?

I agree fishinguy I can't imagine trying to turn over 20ft of 4lb mono with something on the end, 10ft of fireline with mono on the end sounds much worse. I have used fireline before out of desperation and it is terrible.

Isn't this guy fishing for pan fish ? If so you could put the fly out there on a piece of cloths line and catch fish. It Doesn't Matter What The Leader Is !

guys its humor (actually a carp leader) :)

pan fishing is not exactly rocket science

like dave says above It Doesn't Matter What The Leader Is !

Isn't this guy fishing for pan fish ? If so you could put the fly out there on a piece of cloths line and catch fish. It Doesn't Matter What The Leader Is !

True ... catching little panfish is just like catching little trout. The little ones are easy.

But if you want to catch the large adults, of any species, you have to do a little bit more.

Ah, Bimini ... I don't bother arguing.

Some people think trout are smarter than all other fish. That must be why they have to be restocked?

They think, therefore they know it's better to commit suicide. They would rather die than get caught.

It's not a matter of fish smarts, it's about feeding habit differences. But if you have little or no experience with fussy trout acclimated in cool clear waters, then of course you would just have an inexperienced opinion on the matter. So be it, I can live with that and also am not one to argue either.. Our ponds here ( or many of them anyway) are two stage, we get to see various warm and cold water species at work. Get into a still spring fed pond water midge hatch in Oct, you might have a different opinion than now. Still water midge fishing for trout is not pan fish fishing. If I want to get the grand kids on some fish, I don't generally take them trout fishing but pan fish fishing or maybe bass . Why ? Because they are pretty easy target fish and there is bound to be action with little skill requirements.. And that is what entertains kids. i've seen grown men spend a three day weekend down here in Oct and about ready to throw their rods in the water in frustration trying to get one trout. Why ? Because they are stubborn and want to fish their size 14 Picket Pin with 3 x tippet. Not gonna work, sorry guys, you could have 100 pan fish back in early Sept. in that shallow cove on the East side of the pond on that combo.. But right here, right now, on these rising trout in front of us ? No way.

And then cool northern streams present another scenario not very related to warm water pan fish. Could it be similar ? Maybe on a day here or there , yes. If you're lucky you will hit one of them. If not and you want to catch fish, you better learn their ways.

Pan fish are very easy to catch. Most trout are finicky and can, at times, be difficult to catch like most other species. The coveted native Brook trout is also equally easy to catch which is why I never understood the love affair some people have for native Brook trout fishing. As a kid we didn't have to many places to fish for panfish but right behind us was a small stream that contained Brook trout after Brook trout after Brook trout. We caught Brook trout on worms, yarn, just hooks, spinners, flies (my dad fly fished I did not at the time) fished from fly rods, Zebcos, sticks, you name it.

While I enjoy all kinds of fishing, panfish and native Brook trout are on the same level to me so I see both points.