Fly Tying
1hook

Best Top Coat for Poppers?

I just started tying poppers and am trying to figure out what the best and easiest option is to protect the paint once finished.

I've heard 30 minute expoxy( don't have a turner)

Uv resin

Salley Hansen

Etc.

I use acrylic paint on the poppers and At Walmart I see a lot of top coats for acrylic paints but not sure how they will hold up to the abuse of fishing?

What are your thoughts and preferences?

I'm not against building a turner for epoxy but don't want to do it if there are easier options.

I should add that I'm not tying to sell, and my poppers certainly aren't air brushed master pieces. Just looking for a good option

I use Sally hansons which is easy to reapply if the body takes a beating. The popper tails will take more of a beating so making the body a rock is almost meaningless. I believe epoxy on popper bodies is overkill unless your fishing for exceptionally toothy fish. But I don't bother with epoxy in that case either.

My personal preference is Crystal uv resin from silvercreek

I only use the hard foam poppers

I really don't think there is a BEST

You might wish to read the following internet article by Kirk Dietrich: http://onthevise.com/blog/10-clear-coat-durability-test-poppers

The article also appeared in Fly Fishing and Tying Journal.

To make it short, Kirk tested poppers coated with 30 minute Epoxy, Clear Cure Goo Hydro Resin, Deer Creek Fine UV Resin, Crystal UV Resin, Solar EZ UV Resin, and Liquid Fusion polyurethane against 60 caught Bass and Bream for each. 30 minute epoxy and Liquid Fusion held up best in Kirk's experiment. But none performed horribly. One coat of the epoxy and two coats of everything else.

So far I don't always clear coat my poppers and don't even always paint them but use colored foam. The ones I have coated and painted I used Sally's on. I think if this was going to be a full time venture for me I'd invest in a UV cure resin of one brand or another. But if the popper material is wood or cork then a coat of lacquer should be fine, which is basically what most head cements and Sally's is. I mentioned that because the OP didn't specify.

I have played with all of them and recently started using Loon Soft head. By far the best. It won't smear paint or marker and won't scratch or break.

Sally's is overpriced clear nail polish I get at the dollar store.

Some pretty wild nail colors recently available as well at the dollar store.

Any reason you can't mix the paint with the epoxy before applying?

I'd guess it would cure kind of funky since the paint is air dry and epoxy chemically kicked. Just a guess though.

Sally's is overpriced clear nail polish I get at the dollar store.

Some pretty wild nail colors recently available as well at the dollar store.

I use this also.Works great and priced right.

I agree about the wild colors.They also have it with glitter in it.

This topic comes up fairly regularly. And I always have the same reaction.

I tie my poppers out of flip flop foam. I generally get ten or more good fish on one before I need to consider tying on a new one. I can tie more.

I've never even thought about "Protecting the paint", since I figure the fish will tear it up regardless of any top coat I might put on there.

But then, I don't tie flies for display ... mine are all for fishing.

Redneck... are your talking about Aileene's Fabric Fusion? I've got some but haven't used it yet for a fly head.

I've read elsewhere that liquid fusion and fabric fusion are the same thing except fabric fusion is cheaper. I have used fabric fusion over braid type flys. It works good but you need a spinner.