Fly Tying
Ginormus1

palming your scissors?

It's a magnet from a shower curtain. We replace ours once or twice a year (as soon as the clear plastic isn't clear anymore). I always cut the magnets out. They're strong, small discs.

Strong magnets will even hold "stainless steel" scissors, since most of them aren't "pure" stainless.

I kind of do the same thing as Mikechell

My magnets came from Michael's/Hobby Lobby and they are stronger than the shower curtain magents I've checked out.

I glued mine to the bracket of my waste basket for a Dyna King vise.

IMG_8893_zpsoyz21li6.jpg

@ Mike west, I like how you also have the space for the hooks to go as well. All great Ideas guys, I cant wait to try some of this stuff myself!

I've been tying with my scissors in my hand for years now, but you need scissors that feel comfortable. I feel like I'm missing something if I try tying without them. I use Dr. Slick's eco scissors for the most part. I use the 3.5" arrow and the work for about 99.8% of my tying. I also use a magnet on my vise, but only when I finish tying so I don't have to hunt for my scissors all the time.

I don't tie commercially, so speed is nothing to be concerned with.I usually put the tools I need to tie the pattern I'm tying right in front of me so I don't have to look for them.

I don't use any of the "speed" techniques cuz I don't think they are required if time is not a factor.

I tied commercially for many years, and kept my scissors in my right hand as you describe. Picking up & putting down scissors can slow down production tying, so, it's good to learn. However, not everyone will be comfortable tying like that as the other replies have shown or have the need to tie quickly.

I also use scissors with large finger loops, as it's important, that the scissors are both comfortable in your hand, and can be moved around without putting them down. The only way to know if it's something you'll like, is try it & see. Just keep in mind that it's best suited for volume tying, and in particular when tying in an assembly line type procedure where you're sticking to only one or two steps at a time. The person you saw likely has developed that habit, so it's become a natural part of their tying.

I only do it now when I'm tying a lot of the same type of fly, and I still tie in that assembly line type manner. Otherwise, I pick up & put down my scissors as I need.

I do not not use that technique, my scissors are on my desk, when I have to make a cut I pick them up and make the cut then put them down.

I have a pair of Dr. Slicks, with an offset finger hole, that are meant to kept in hand while you tie. I don't find them to be any real advantage, but, as other have said, I'm not tying for speed. What I do do is keep a tool caddy near my vise. I keep my scissors in that, close to hand while I'm tying. It only takes a second to snatch up the scissors or to put them back.

I tried it but I thought it was too dangerous. I have to wear head magnifying glasses or I can't see what I'm doing. I noticed when I was adjusting the glasses or lifting them up so that I could read something,the scissors were too close to my eyes!

Keeping your scissors in hand while performing other tying operations seperates the men from the boys when it comes to pumping out flies per hour. You don't have to tie commercially to appreciate speed - even hobbists need to crank out more flies per hour!!

Well I have been trying it on and off and I think I may end up doing it long term. I haven't stuck myself yet so as long as that keeps up I'm good to go! thanks again to everyone for your input!

Guest rich mc

i dont hold on to my scissors but do like the curved scissors as they can be picked up easy rich mc