King-s-River-Caddis-800.jpg

king's river caddis

hook – dry fly style

thread - brown

body - raccoon fur or natural or synthetic brown dubbing

wing - mottled-brown turkey primary

hackle - brown

reference - fly anglers on line archive

ohmy.png Cream !?!?!? Where's the deer hair ???

Never mind ... you tie a nice fly, even without it!

ohmy.png Cream !?!?!? Where's the deer hair ???

Never mind ... you tie a nice fly, even without it!

I've got a room full of materials and they all need some love. ;)

laugh.png I used to know a guy who would do the dishes, then put the clean items under the ones already in or on the shelf. (I.E. lift the spoons and put the clean ones on the bottom)

His excuse? He "didn't want the items on the bottom to feel left out." So he made sure ALL the dishes and flatware got used.

I was living with four roommates at the time, and he wasn't even the worst one!

Did YOU ever live in Columbia, SC?

laugh.png I used to know a guy who would do the dishes, then put the clean items under the ones already in or on the shelf. (I.E. lift the spoons and put the clean ones on the bottom)

His excuse? He "didn't want the items on the bottom to feel left out." So he made sure ALL the dishes and flatware got used.

I was living with four roommates at the time, and he wasn't even the worst one!

Did YOU ever live in Columbia, SC?

My parents lived in Florence for a year not that long ago when they first retired, but that's as close as I have come to Columbia. Driven through there a lot, though.

pontoon hopper

Pontoon-Hopper-800.jpg

Pontoon Hopper

Hook - Dry fly style
Thread - Color to match
Body - Short segment from the end of a feather quill - dyed or colored with a marker
Legs - Biots

Tying Note - The body can be substituted with a wooden dowel carved to shape and painted or colored with a permanent marker.
The legs can be substituted with knotted pheasant tail legs.
Add painted eyes and antennae and wings.

I found a photo in Mike Valla's book "The Founding Flies" and decided to tie one up.

It is attributed to Charlie Craighead and tweaked by Bill Bennett and was popularized by Vince Marinaro.

I Google searched for more historical info but there is very little out there on the web.

It certainly is not a very durable fly and I doubt that it would survive to catch a second fish.

I like it flytire. May not survive a second fish but looks easy and quick enough to tie

Doug

The pink and white which I posted earlier were 5-6 inches long. These are more like 2.5-3 inches. I still need to clip the sacrificial front hook. I could have tied these on a streamer hook but they wouldn't fish the same as articulated.

2yuc3zq.jpg

k1rx38.jpg

Im not sure what these are called, but these feather-zonker -seaducers are awesome in shallow water.

This one on a ahrex #1 predator.

post-59266-0-04497900-1563505554_thumb.jpeg

post-59266-0-41339000-1563505568_thumb.jpeg

That pink and white will work all day long... bet it suspends between strips and shallow fish in the backcountry of the Everglades like that sort of movement...

pontoon hopper

Pontoon-Hopper-800.jpg

Pontoon Hopper

Hook - Dry fly style

Thread - Color to match

Body - Short segment from the end of a feather quill - dyed or colored with a marker

Legs - Biots

Tying Note - The body can be substituted with a wooden dowel carved to shape and painted or colored with a permanent marker.

The legs can be substituted with knotted pheasant tail legs.

Add painted eyes and antennae and wings.

I found a photo in Mike Valla's book "The Founding Flies" and decided to tie one up.

It is attributed to Charlie Craighead and tweaked by Bill Bennett and was popularized by Vince Marinaro.

I Google searched for more historical info but there is very little out there on the web.

It certainly is not a very durable fly and I doubt that it would survive to catch a second fish.

Hey, What did you use to cap off the end of the quill? At the head of the hopper/fly. "I" would like to stay true to the period. So with that said, UV products would cheating. LOL

P.S. Cool old-fashion-looking fly. I like the simplicity of it. I bet Bluegill would POUND that!