Fly Tying
petelangevin

What feathers give best action on wooly buggers?

I am confused,  some people say american cape feathers,  4b rooster,  or bugger packs.   I want versitility,  i have older feathers that are too stiff,   Going to fish fresh this year so let me know what you all use/recommend.

? ... what action are you asking about?  The tail is, usually, marabou, which is "fluffy" and flows with water movement very easily.  The hackle, should be a bit stiffer, in my opinion, since I want it to retain some of its outward shape in the water.

I bought one of the "variety packs" from Whiting that has about two dozen colors in it.  less than $20.00.

Not top of the line, I'm sure, but it makes pretty flies I'm not afraid to use and lose.

s-l640.jpg

So the hackle palmered down the body does not matter much?   Its been 20 years since i have tied buggers.   Do you want some of it to be webby?  

I use whatever I have available.  I have a few old necks(Metz and Whiting)where the prime feathers have been used up leaving me with larger webby feathers.  Here's a couple tied with those feathers.  The hooks are 1/0 60 degree jig hooks.    I also use saddle hackle and on some of my larger streamers that have a woolly bugger style body I use spey hackle.  When I tie small woolly buggers, size 16 and size 18,  I just use dry fly hackle.

P4140189.JPG

P4140192.JPG

2 hours ago, mikechell said:

? ... what action are you asking about?  ...  The hackle, should be a bit stiffer, in my opinion, since I want it to retain some of its outward shape in the water.

That's the right question, and the right answer if you're planning on stripping the fly.  If you're planning on dead drifting it, perhaps a soft hackle might be better.

I would argue that whatever hackle you choose, it should be high quality.  This is especially true if you are catching a lot of fish.  Over the years, I’ve not found anything better than Whiting Bugger Packs, but high quality saddles work just as well.  Rooster capes on the other hand can have high quality feathers, but they are typically to wide and short for buggers. Several years back I wrote a piece for J. Stockard on dubbing woolly bugger bodies.   Using dubbing for the body instead of chenille will improve hackle life.  Additionally, tails don’t necessarily need to be made with Marabou.  Finn Raccoon and Fox make excellent bugger tails.  Finally, bodies can be crafted from other materials as well.

Very nice Woolly Worms and Buggers Norm. Is the only difference between a woolly worm and a bugger the tail?

I'm not good at them ... but I think they look great for catching fish.

DSCF0009.JPG

I like mine with eyes, too.  Does that make them NOT wooly buggers?

California prep 3.JPG

Oh, and that tail is made with the webby part of feathers off a Dollar Tree boa.

I was under the impression (maybe mistakenly) that you wanted them to compress when stripped and then puff back out when paused like a soft hackle might.    

I'm of that opinion, too.  But they have to have enough stiffness to puff back out.  Too soft, and they'll just lay along the body.