Fly Tying
flytire

August Flies From the Vise

It is what it is ! I not going to be stupid about it but I m not going to stop fishing either.  Much greater oddsmof me being killed in a car accident while driving down to the cape as opposed to being taken out by a Great White on the Cape.  The inscription on the headstone would be a lot cooler as well.

1 hour ago, Mogup said:

It is what it is ! I not going to be stupid about it but I m not going to stop fishing either.  Much greater oddsmof me being killed in a car accident while driving down to the cape as opposed to being taken out by a Great White on the Cape.  The inscription on the headstone would be a lot cooler as well.

I feel the same way. 

5 hours ago, Mogup said:

Ha ha, true! A little adrenaline always makes things more fun. Still, be careful! Those great whites have made their way to southern Maine, hope they don't start showing up the coast my way... I want to get into striper fishing more next year. 

15 hours ago, mikechell said:

I've no doubt larger fish will hit tiny flies.  Lots of pictures and videos to prove it.  My own experience, however, has convinced me those same fish will hit larger flies.  It's rare that I hook a 2" sunfish on a size 8 or 6 fly.  Whenever I've tried a smaller fly, I catch many more tiny fish than larger ones.  So, I rarely try anything smaller than a 10 these days.

True.  That's the hook size I'm normally fishing around here.  The only reason I was fishing the smaller flies was the other patterns I had those days just weren't producing anything.  

Muddled Soldier Snatcher

50290413291_b50cd0c124_c.jpg

50290559177_2d5caa24c5_c.jpg

50290559037_76a15580a1_c.jpg

Used Rob Denson’s Buggered Soldier Muddler as a basis.  Considered a golden pheasant (red) rump shoulder; maybe on the next one.

hook - WFC Model 11 #10
thread - UTC 140 tan
tag - Depth Ray hot orange
rib - small wire gold
body - dubbing ginger/fiery brown/red
body hackle - grizzly hen dyed ginger 
cheeks - biots fluoro orange
collar/head - deer hair

Regards,
Scott

8 hours ago, Old Hat said:

The only reason I was fishing the smaller flies was the other patterns I had those days just weren't producing anything.

I must admit, I'm a sucker for that philosophy, too.  As I said before, I rarely try anything smaller that a 10.  But I do tie these on once in a while.

If I remember correctly, I tied these on some size 16 hooks I have.  I don't know why I have them, but I do.

2020 Richmond Flies 001.jpg 

The fly box was a gift from niece which she acquired when she went out to visit Bozeman and her brother. The Oatman streamers were tied by myself..

624C0859-3654-4E0F-9472-8D7110357CB6.jpeg

5 hours ago, mikechell said:

I must admit, I'm a sucker for that philosophy, too.  As I said before, I rarely try anything smaller that a 10.  But I do tie these on once in a while.

If I remember correctly, I tied these on some size 16 hooks I have.  I don't know why I have them, but I do.

(Pics cut for brevity) Nice mikechell

On 8/27/2020 at 3:26 PM, chugbug27 said:

Been busy with these. Elk Hair Caddis, #12 & 14, from a variety of different elk patches. Two different patches came from @Mark Knapp, with much (belated) appreciation.

With hair from Mark:

Here's with other hair:

Good month everyone.

I think they look sa-weet. Nice job, Chug.