Fly Tying
McFlyLures

Fishing not Allowed

1 hour ago, Capt Bob LeMay said:

Something for all of us to remember is that after the virus is pretty much under control - and things get back to normal... There are still folks (and organizations) around that are absolutely anti-fishing and they'll always be active here or there if we're not vigilant.  I'm not talking about a particular pond, lake, or stream with a "No fishing" sign someone has managed to get put up, but the kinds of actions that lock us out of entire areas - both in salt and freshwater and we're not talking temporary - but forever.

The best argument in our favor is simply "catch and release" in areas where fish populations need protection as well as tried and true conservation practices for areas under stress... Put simply,  if the Hudson River in New York can be cleaned up we can do that anywhere... 

The Hudson River is a prime example of what can be done. I lived in Queens, NY from 1962-1965. Riding the Staten Island ferry gave a nice view of thousands of condoms floating in the river and harbor. Known as Allegheny whitefish. Went back in 1998 and the river and harbor were clean! Anyone remember when the Cuyahoga River in Cleveland, Ohio caught fire...three times. Lived in Cincinnati for a while in 1982. Looked at at magazine that advertised fishing charters on Lake Erie. Asked a fellow about this and he told me cleaning the lake was one of the prime examples of the Clean Water Act.

5 hours ago, knotjoe said:

Apparently?  Dude, it's not like it wasn't all over San Antonio news prior to the Labor Day closure strategy.  Regardless of whether a closure is logical or not, do check status of parks and access points before heading out.  Y'know...sometimes there's bridgework on river access or other work being done which closes fishing spots for a bit.  

Your police out there are pretty patient and polite with folks who disregard or somehow remained unaware of the Labor Day closings.  Consider yourself lucky you didn't get a citation or ticket.

I never saw it on the news...  but yeah ok...  such anger bro!  Didn’t I say he was nice?  Didn’t I leave when he asked?  Bro, your making more out of something than it really is.  I never heard a dang thing about closures.  Granted I don’t have cable TV...  there was no sign at the park, and tons of people were parked there.  Signs said “additional parking” and such.  I did nothing wrong.  

From what’s been reported both sides handled the situation well... This is coming from a guy that did a career in law enforcement down here in paradise before being lucky enough to get an early retirement after 22 years.  During that time I had to carry out more than one policy that I didn’t exactly agree with... 

My era was from 1973 to 1995 during the height of the party down here in South Florida.  Glad I’m years out of that world.  

My previous post was a warning about government deliberately closing down wide areas permanently, with one excuse or another - but driven by an anti-fishing agenda...  The saltwater world has seen early examples of this kind of stuff already.

5 hours ago, McFlyLures said:

I never saw it on the news...  but yeah ok...  such anger bro!  Didn’t I say he was nice?  Didn’t I leave when he asked?  Bro, your making more out of something than it really is.  I never heard a dang thing about closures.  Granted I don’t have cable TV...  there was no sign at the park, and tons of people were parked there.  Signs said “additional parking” and such.  I did nothing wrong.  

No anger from me and while I wouldn’t go as far as to say you did anything wrong, I will posit the manner in which you behaved afterward was not exactly wise.  No doubt the title “Police kick us out for Fishing”  is a catchy one for views and reposting on the web considering the social climate as of late.   Certainly worked well as you garnered more views and attention in 4 days than most of the videos get in a month.  Impressive and congratulations…

McViews.jpg.2a8011581e4a596c41a54a979c2811db.jpg

I’d suggest watching your speedometer closely and be sure not to get caught being where you shouldn’t for any reason including fishing for the foreseeable future.  You may have just shredded your free pass by the San Antonio Po-Po for innocent transgressions and honest ignorance when you post publicly with such a title.

I guess to me what you are doing with this seems ethically odd and largely governed by what title wording gets attention best on the web over anything else.  Might also be that they (police) are so used to this type of thing it just rolls right off ‘em as another day at work.  I wouldn’t want them remembering me for it, though, I much prefer all LEOs let me slide by when in error.  Happens often.😳

As to the “such anger bro!” thing above, you haven’t gotten any here that I’ve seen and certainly not from me.  If you are hearing any flak elsewhere and that’s why you perceive my response as such, it’s likely from what I addressed on this particular issue.  Some might be very offended, not everyone gets the view grabber and keywords tricks on YouTube.

18 hours ago, Capt Bob LeMay said:

There are still folks (and organizations) around that are absolutely anti-fishing and they'll always be active here or there if we're not vigilant.  I'm not talking about a particular pond, lake, or stream with a "No fishing" sign someone has managed to get put up, but the kinds of actions that lock us out of entire areas - both in salt and freshwater and we're not talking temporary - but forever.

I wasn't aware of this.  Will you name one or two organizations with this "vision", just to bring me up to speed?  Please think "freshwater", since the other seems more inherently political (fishing nets, dolphins, etc.)

I’m a saltwater guy so that going to be a bit tough for me.  I have noted outfits like PETA that would cheerfully outlaw fishing everywhere and have I believe had some success (unfortunately) in places like Germany...

Ultimately, though, it’s always political unless you live under a dictatorship and have no say about anything...

3 hours ago, Bill_729 said:

I wasn't aware of this.  Will you name one or two organizations with this "vision", just to bring me up to speed?  Please think "freshwater", since the other seems more inherently political (fishing nets, dolphins, etc.)

Anybody or any organization calling for the ban of lead in fishing is ultimately seeking a total ban on catch and release fishing. It's how that side operates, taking little bites of the apple. It's how how all our rights are slowly watered down and stripped away to the point where some people believe they have the power to determine who and what are essential. 

Jacques Cousteau once referred to sport anglers as perverts. A guy was pushing for banning lead wheel weights for balancing tires. He said the lead was being ground to powder and getting in the water. If that is true, then why do we find whole weights instead of just the clips?

Knotjoe, I’ve got videos with well over 100k views.  I’ve gotten over 4.5 million total views on my site.  Sure I have a youtube channel and sure I post videos with catchy titles.  This in fact is the 2nd highest views in the time period in a manner of 2 months.  My split tail shad tying video actually got more (named split tail shad) super catchy don’t you think??!  Haha.  

But, I was very respectful, and if I get pulled over I’m sure most police watching this video wouldn’t think I was otherwise.  I blurred out the policeman, and I left when asked.  Seems to me that you in fact are either just jealous of my Channel, or are somehow angry at me for something, possibly you hate fishing.  or maybe you have a bone to pick about this covid thing and seem to be politically charged on it.  Or maybe your just one of those people that like to troll others.  I get lots on my channel.  100’s a month.  Some trolls like you, others worse.  Heck once I posted a video saying my dog died and someone said (good, I hope your children die also)  Either way, I did nothing wrong, I didn’t lie, and didn’t intentionally break the law.  (And it wasn’t even an enforceable law, I read that they could not give tickets for it after I found out about it and looked it up!).  I was one of 30 people at that park btw!  Like I said, there were signs saying “additional parking here” that parking lot was not closed like the other.  There was barricades over the workout equipment and basketball hoops, but the path was open.  People were running, people were at the dog park there.  There were 6 people already fishing there when I got there.  

as for not going above the speed limit, I actually do that.  I always stay speed limit.  Here in San Antonio it feels like I’m standing still doing that because people zoom by.  The amount of bad drivers here in San Antonio is appalling.  But yes I do the speed limit at all times because unlike most, I try to abide by the laws.  

so that is all I’m going to say now, so that way I don’t form carpal tunnel for typing so much! Haha.   Listen man I wish you the best, all is good.  Let’s just agree to disagree on this issue.  God bless my friend.  

2 hours ago, McFlyLures said:

Seems to me that you in fact are either just jealous of my Channel, or are somehow angry at me for something, possibly you hate fishing.  or maybe you have a bone to pick about this covid thing and seem to be politically charged on it.  Or maybe your just one of those people that like to troll others.  I get lots on my channel.  100’s a month.  Some trolls like you, others worse.  

Or maybe none of the above and just making a few observations, please don’t interpret any of it as animosity toward you or what you do.  I’m actually impressed that the title you used gets more attention than typical fishing words but that’s the world we live in.

I apologize for implying that you chose this title intentionally for functional purposes over any others if you did not.  For real.  I sometimes read ulterior motives into things and it can be completely off base.  As Steeldrifter stated, it is an accurate title given what transpired and I’ll not argue otherwise.  

On the other hand, if you did think of this angle…that was freakin’ brilliant!👍  Not a Youtube guy myself (or any other social media) yet I’m always surprised by what works and how it plays.   A title of “Son fishing with New Flyrod” would fall flat despite the scads of folks requesting information on how to start flyfishing and what tackle to use.  Throw something with “Police” in there and it’s grabs attention and it exposes folks to something far better like fishing.    

Wasn’t meaning to sound critical toward you on the whole thing, just around here the police themselves might take it as a slight on them for carrying out direct orders regardless of personal feelings about the idea.  A (precious) few might even try to even the score at a later time by not being politely lenient on minor issues and infractions.   I’m often surprised by what does prove to offend people and the different ways they interpret a given issue, thus the cautionary examples.

Again, please do not come away from his thinking I harbor any negative sentiments toward you or your doings on the web. 

13 hours ago, Steeldrifter said:

His title on youtube is actually accurate. He and his Son did in fact get kicked out for fishing. Nothing misleading there so no need to go on about it.

To play devil's advocate he got the boot for violating the closure order.  He violated it by fishing in a closed park.  So he didn't get the boot for fishing.   I'm also not buying, "I never saw it on the news... Granted I don’t have cable TV.." It seems to me with a little help from my buddy google it was on the local news, the newspapers and I'll wager on the radio too.  Ignorance of the law is no excuse.

Knotjoe.  Whether or not it’s a good title or not, got me not many more views.  We are talking maybe double what my others get.  And about 1/10th of what I used to get when i lived in Colorado doing this full time.  I never know really what gives me more views...  some of my videos where I didn’t catch a dang fish, get more views than my most successful trips.  I never figured out the YouTube view boosting thing.  I just make videos about my fishing and tying.  Try to keep it reel.  Most people think I’m selling out.  Many think I’m rolling in money from this.  I put 20-30 hours a week into editing and filming my videos, and I transfer $500/month into my bank account from my business side account.  That includes my full time fly tying sales as well.  So in total, 60+ hours a week of work for $500/month income isn’t like I’m rolling in the money.  I’m not selling out, actually the opposite.  I work hard for very little money because I love fishing and love teaching people things.  I’ve helped 100’s of kids And adults learn to fish, many don’t come from affluent areas or families.  Many would never have gotten into it if I didn’t show them how or make them interested.  I do it to help people not to gain money or fame.  In fact the amount of trolling on my channel is tough to deal with.  100’s a week of very horrible comments.  Death threats etc...  but I also get lots of very happy comments to, people thanking me for helping them learn something.  Good outways the bad for sure, but it’s still tough on the psychi having to hear so much negativity all the time.  So I’m sorry if I called you a troll, however I’m a little short fused when it comes to trolling as you can imagine.  I don’t have time to always check if someone is stating something out of hate or just making a statement.   But please don’t try and fit me into a box like all the other YouTube guys. Like I said, no hard feelings.  God bless man.  I wish you the best!  

Seriously people I have already said let it go once. Stop going around looking for shit to nitpick online. If you don't like what he posted then just don't bother reading it, it's that simple. All the negativity everywhere you turn these days is getting ridiculous. There's no need to over analyze this stuff. Anymore back and forth and it gets ended. My patience is wearing very thin with this sort of stuff anymore.

2 hours ago, Steeldrifter said:

Seriously people I have already said let it go once. Stop going around looking for shit to nitpick online. If you don't like what he posted then just don't bother reading it, it's that simple. All the negativity everywhere you turn these days is getting ridiculous. There's no need to over analyze this stuff. Anymore back and forth and it gets ended. My patience is wearing very thin with this sort of stuff anymore.

Sorry steel I’ll drop it.  👍. Thanks for keeping this site level.  I apologize for arguing.