Fly Tying
fiveonomo

First Attempt at Tying a Fly......Be Easy

I picked up my new vise, tools, and some materials to tie the Pheasant Tail Nymph.  I decided to get good at starting the thread and to learn the whip finish tool.  The other night at my shop, South River Fly Shop, one of the owners Tommy took some time with me on these two things and thats why I think I had success quickly with them last night.  After I had done those things many times I got bored and decided what the hell, the only way to learn is to do it.  With those thoughts I pulled up a youtube video and went for it.  

They turned out horrible, but I completely expected that and surprisingly I am very ok with it.  I learned some things.  I will be 50 years old in 11 days, I can't see.  I already wear readers but I am thinking I could at the very least use a bright light and maybe a magnifying lens or something.  You should never get stupid with the UV Resin, I drowned the first one in it.  I wanted the thin or thick from Loon but only found the flow, I am thinking flow means just this.....it flows.  I know I could and maybe should have just used head cement but I saw the UV stuff and ...well....I just think it's cool and gives the fly a really good look...not the look of these flies..but in general it gives them a good look I thought.  Its a little tough with wings and tails getting in your way while tying, especially when I whipped finished.  Like anything else I will get better with time and reps.

Don't hurt me, these are literally the first two I have done on my own.  With that said, I am a big boy and I am looking for constructive criticism so let me have it.  Without farther ado............

1st Attempt at Pheasant Tail Nymph 12-14-2020.jpg

2nd Pheasant Tail Nymph 12-14-2020.jpg

47 minutes ago, fiveonomo said:

I picked up my new vise, tools, and some materials to tie the Pheasant Tail Nymph.  I decided to get good at starting the thread and to learn the whip finish tool.  The other night at my shop, South River Fly Shop, one of the owners Tommy took some time with me on these two things and thats why I think I had success quickly with them last night.  After I had done those things many times I got bored and decided what the hell, the only way to learn is to do it.  With those thoughts I pulled up a youtube video and went for it.  

They turned out horrible, but I completely expected that and surprisingly I am very ok with it.  I learned some things.  I will be 50 years old in 11 days, I can't see.  I already wear readers but I am thinking I could at the very least use a bright light and maybe a magnifying lens or something.  You should never get stupid with the UV Resin, I drowned the first one in it.  I wanted the thin or thick from Loon but only found the flow, I am thinking flow means just this.....it flows.  I know I could and maybe should have just used head cement but I saw the UV stuff and ...well....I just think it's cool and gives the fly a really good look...not the look of these flies..but in general it gives them a good look I thought.  Its a little tough with wings and tails getting in your way while tying, especially when I whipped finished.  Like anything else I will get better with time and reps.

Don't hurt me, these are literally the first two I have done on my own.  With that said, I am a big boy and I am looking for constructive criticism so let me have it.  Without farther ado............

1st Attempt at Pheasant Tail Nymph 12-14-2020.jpg

2nd Pheasant Tail Nymph 12-14-2020.jpg

One of the most difficult things for a new fly tyer to get right is proportion.

It starts with the hook. Use the correct hook for the fly pattern because the hook shape and length determines the length and shape of the fly. I am not saying your hook is wrong, just remember to use the correct hooks.

Then the parts of the fly have to take up the correct amount of hook space with the correct amount of material placed in the correct location.

If you do those things the fly will come out looking right.

With your fly, the thorax and wing case take up too much space. That results in shortening the hook space that is left for the rest of the fly, leaving too little space for the nymph's abdomen.

The tails of the nymph should be the length of the nymphal body so they are too long and there is too little material.

The legs are also a bit long.

You can see the result of what happens when you use too much of the hooks space for a section of the pattern. It throws every other thing off.

What I recommend to a new tyer is that they buy a fly that they want to copy so they have it right in front of them. Second best is to have a photo or a picture so you can compare the part you are tying with what it should look like.

Charlie’s Fly Box is a good place to find patterns:

https://charliesflyboxinc.com/portfolio-items/fly-box-template-37/

Pheasant-tail-Tiffs-4.jpg

Read this article by Charlie Craven

https://www.flyfisherman.com/editorial/tying-flies-beautiful-flies/151957 

One hint is to use the hook as you "measuring stick". Since the hook is the scaffolding for the fly, all parts of the fly are tied in relationship to the hook. So measure the length of the tails, wings, etc in relationship to the hook to keep then in the right proportion to the fly body.

Now tie a second fly trying to improve on the proportions and it will end up much better!

I have seen and tied worse than that, if it makes you feel better we are usually our own worse critics. But.... I think they would catch fish. Just slow down and take the fly in steps. if you don't like the results take a razor to it and start all over or unwind to the last place you thought was good. As SilverCreek said the proportions take time- break the fly into portions use the point or barb for reference in relation to the eye and leave a eye width gap behind the eye (except bead heads)

You're already showing improvement from the first to the second!  (And both will catch fish.)

In addition to Silver's comments, one thing that stands out to me is the wire rib.  A few comments about it:

1) The rib will better protect the pheasant tail if you counter-rib it -- i.e. wrap it in the opposite direction from everything else on the fly.  Actually, looking again at the pictures, it looks like you may have counter-wrapped the body, which works just as well.

2) If you have finer wire, use it.

3) Try to keep the rib wraps evenly spaced and parallel to each other.  One help with spacing is to plan on doing an odd number of wraps, and make the the middle wrap in the middle of the fly.  In other words, if you plan on making five wraps, make sure the third is in the middle of the body.  (Five is the traditional number of rib wraps on wet flies, and it's for that very reason.) If the middle wrap ends up anywhere other than the middle of the body, unwind and start over.  And don't be afraid to make the wraps tight.

You might want to work your way into tying this pattern a bit at time.  Maybe tie a few pheasant tail soft hackles -- leave out the bead, thorax and and wing case.  When you're happy with those,  tie a couple more with a thorax, but still no bead or wing case.  Then do a few more with the wing case.  All those can be on a standard length hook.   When you add in the bead,  use a longer shank hook (like 2x long.)

Alternatively, you can work your way from larger hook sizes to smaller:  start with a size 12 and work down.

I notice you list your favorite species as smallmouth. I've actually caught some sizeable smallies on size 16 pheasant tails while I was trout fishing.

@SilverCreek, @cphubert, @redietzthank you so much!  I really appreciate the feedback and all of the advice.  So much to learn but I think you just build each day on what you learned the day before and keep going from there.  Thank you guys for being an extremely valuable resource here right at the fingertips.  Gonna read back over everything and get back at it!  Thanks guys!

Keep on keeping on! They will catch fish, and you will be fine tying flies. Keep tying, it gets easier-you might try a few Wooly Buggers , bigger size=easier for you, and great to learn counter wrapping wire.

well done! 

Keep tying and good idea to take a class. Tons of info here, Youtube, videos and books. We all started somewhere. Friend said his first flies looked like he scraped off the windshield.

One trick I learned MANY years ago was using a "measuring stick".  There are two types - 1) place thread ties along the same size and type hook you are going to tie the pattern on (most patterns use the parts of the hook for reference points - hook shank length, hook gap, eye widths - so simply tie in a piece of thread - a bright color helps - in either a clove hitch hit with some head cement at these spots).  Spots can/should include the back of the head, the back of the thorax, the back of the abdomen, hackle length - if not the hook curve, tag length, butt length, etc...  Keep this with a toe tag with the name/style of the fly on it for future reference.  Or, 2) using a piece of card stock - 3" X 5" card for example - and place along the hook shank and do the same marking - you can also mark the tail length here as well.  The first method works well with curved hook and the second works best with straight hook shanks.

Another tip, I suggest this to my novice fly swappers, tie a few flies and pull the one that best matches the ideal pattern and keep it with your vise - a small magnet works well for this - and use this fly as a template and hold it up to each stage of each fly you tie thereafter until your tying eye and muscle memory take over.  This trick works well when you are trying a new pattern as well.

Hope this helps.

Kim

There are much easier flies to begin with, imo. Think "thread midge", "killer bug," and similar. They really do catch fish.

On the other hand...

2 hours ago, cphubert said:

I have seen and tied worse than that

+1

6 hours ago, Lecrevisse said:

Keep on keeping on! They will catch fish, and you will be fine tying flies. Keep tying, it gets easier-you might try a few Wooly Buggers , bigger size=easier for you, and great to learn counter wrapping wire.

well done! 

Thank you!

6 hours ago, skeet3t said:

Keep tying and good idea to take a class. Tons of info here, Youtube, videos and books. We all started somewhere. Friend said his first flies looked like he scraped off the windshield.

Thanks!  Thats funny, I guess they looked like mine.  My shop is offering a beginners class in January and I am already in.

5 hours ago, SilverCreek said:

I don't know if this will interest you, but you can download this fly tying introduction for free:

PDF of booklet

https://www.swtu.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/Fly-Tying-I-Instructional-Booklet.pdf

Tool list:

http://www.swtu.org/pdfs/fly_tying/Beginning-Materials-List.pdf

Excellent resource!  Thanks!  I took a quick look at it but that is going into my definitely keep list.  Thanks again @SilverCreek.

5 hours ago, WWKimba said:

One trick I learned MANY years ago was using a "measuring stick".  There are two types - 1) place thread ties along the same size and type hook you are going to tie the pattern on (most patterns use the parts of the hook for reference points - hook shank length, hook gap, eye widths - so simply tie in a piece of thread - a bright color helps - in either a clove hitch hit with some head cement at these spots).  Spots can/should include the back of the head, the back of the thorax, the back of the abdomen, hackle length - if not the hook curve, tag length, butt length, etc...  Keep this with a toe tag with the name/style of the fly on it for future reference.  Or, 2) using a piece of card stock - 3" X 5" card for example - and place along the hook shank and do the same marking - you can also mark the tail length here as well.  The first method works well with curved hook and the second works best with straight hook shanks.

Another tip, I suggest this to my novice fly swappers, tie a few flies and pull the one that best matches the ideal pattern and keep it with your vise - a small magnet works well for this - and use this fly as a template and hold it up to each stage of each fly you tie thereafter until your tying eye and muscle memory take over.  This trick works well when you are trying a new pattern as well.

Hope this helps.

Kim

As always @WWKimbathanks for the help!

4 hours ago, chugbug27 said:

There are much easier flies to begin with, imo. Think "thread midge", "killer bug," and similar. They really do catch fish.

On the other hand...

+1

Thanks!

@fiveonomo, those are pretty good first attempts IMHO. You've been given and pointed to some excellent advice and resources. There's not much I can add. But....what the heck.

The first fly I ever tied were pheasant tails, so if that's what you want to tie go for it. Advice: Ditch the bead. It's only a distraction when you're first figuring out and determining proportions. 

Lighting, definitely get some good bright lighting.  Eyesight. I use reading glasses for everything but tying. For that I went to readers.com and got some 4.00+ magnifiers. Not saying you need 'em that strong, but something stronger than your usual. They're pretty inexpensive. Now some people like a light w/ a magnifier. Personally I think that is too restrictive. I just move better when I can move my head and the magnifier got in the way of my hands. Again personal preference.

@SalarMan makes a good point in the Classic threads, Tying is a marathon not a sprint. A razor blade can be your best friend. When your tying if you don't like how the step you just performed turned out, undo it and then redo it or just razor it off and start again. Marathon, remember.

@SilverCreek gave you some great links. If Charlie Craven says it, it's like Moses handing down the tablets ( I exaggerate, a little).  Charlie also has some great beginner books. 

You're showing great enthusiasm, don't lose that. Keep tying.

Here's my bench set-up(ignore the mess) regarding lighting.

PHOTO_20201215_185040.jpg

@Sandanthanks for the response and the valuable information.  I bought the stuff for a pheasant tail so I may stay with them for a little while.  I was worried about a light/magnifier combo getting in my way, I think I will order a set of the magnifiers myself and look for a bright light.  I love your tying desk, I need to come up with a dedicated space myself as keeping my stuff in a bag is a pain.  Thanks for all of your help!

One time I was fishing in a caddis hatch and brook trout had turned on. I had this beat up caddis pattern on my line and was catching fish until the fly just fell apart. My son was with me not catching much with the same pattern but fresh. When I changed my fly because there was nothing left of the old one, I put on a nice new fresh elk hair caddis and wasn't catching a thing. I clipped most of the wing off, roughed up the dubbing and immediately starting catching fish again. I told my son to clip half the materials off his fly and beat up the dubbing which he did and he too was now catching fish. Additionally the fish were feeding just under the surface and taking the fly when jerked in tiny quick strips. We were catching brookie after brookie till some folks started noticing it. They said they been fishing all afternoon, what are you guys using. Our reply " beat to s+++ caddis". So why do I say this today ? At the right moment in the right situation your flies will be perfection, maybe not to you but to the fish.