Fly Tying
Mike West

Overseas cheap fly lines....?

I know this has been discussed before on here but didn’t see the links I was looking for.

I just spent a lot of money on namebrand lines.

Personally I find it insane fly lines cost from $80-$130 nowadays.

I got a couple voids to fill a  but Im not spending that kind of money to do it I’m looking for those cheap $10-$20 fly lines on the bay.

Problem is there are so many vendors on the bay selling cheap fly lines  I don’t know what’s good and what’s not I know some of them are pure junk.

I’m looking for a direct link or sellers name on the bay that sells fly lines you were actually happy with for the money.

I’m looking to buy a couple intermediate and some full sinking  lines.

thanks in advance

It has been a while since I have been on here, but decided to get back on here.

I have been using 2 different brands of the cheap fly lines for a couple years now and they are still working as they did when I first purchased them. I didn't get them off of Ebay but Amazon. They range from $10.00 to $15.00. The higher priced came with backing and a leader (took the leader off immediately and put my own on it). I primarily fish for Largemouth Bass and Saltwater (Stripers, red fish, flounder, etc) species and have caught many fish on these lines, upwards to 25 lbs. Never had an issue with casting any of them. Some come with welded loops, but most of the time I cut them off and nail knot a piece of 40lb leader to make a loop (not sure I trust the loops, but never tried them so can't vouch for those). The nice thing is that it isn't very expensive to replace them every couple of years! 

I was like you, I was tired of paying 100's of dollars on fly lines so I tried these and haven't turned back. I have floating, intermediate and full sinking tips in WT's 4-9 (yes I have that many fly rods, but I build them as a hobby).

The brands I bought are Croch and MaxCatch. 

If you don't like them, you are not out a lot of money, but I think you will be happy with them.

Tight Lines!!

I took the leap a few years ago following Chell’s advice. I have two elcheapo lines.
One is a 6wt intermediate that floats. Not sure if it was mislabeled, misdescribed or what, but I can’t give you a good review because it does not work like I think it is supposed to. Can’t remember the brand.

The other is a MaxCatch 5wt floater and it has been pretty good. It is the one I use all the time, drag it through weeds and slime, step on it often, and never clean it. It has not been any worse than the lines before it, but I always bought middle of the road, never premium lines.

Mike I have used the maxcatch intermediate for trolling (WF) but to be fair I'm not casting it, for $12 decent line for what it is. lasted 3 years so far, I add heat shrunk & glued loops to them for rigging sections of lead core to achieve depth (don't trust cheap welded loops for trolling) also have their $18 china euro nymphing line also fine for use as I never cast distance (never tried) I carry spare spools of name brand closeout lines for casting / fishing

If you've seen any of my videos, then you know how $9.00 fly line off E-bay works.  Maybe it's just me, but the name brand lines I've tried, don't work any better than the cheap ones.

I just looked at the sight and bought the color I wanted and have been satisfied with it for several years.

Check the various flyfishing forum sites (there are several) and scan the classified sections.  Slightly used and even new brand name lines are listed many times and at greatly discounted prices versus new prices.  Same goes for rods and reels. 

I have used both expensive, and cheap lines bought at either big box stores or online vendors.

I think you really have to be honest with your self about what you are looking for and intended usage. Personally I am a Stillwater fisherman. I spend the most money on my indicator lines, along with my intermediate lines because I use them the most and prefer quality. However, I do throw poppers for bass a handful of times a year so I buy a $15 WF off amazon for throwing bass poppers. If I have to replace that line every year I am fine with it.

I have found a performance difference in some of the lines, and the cheap ones tend to "wear out" quicker for me. For example the tip of the WF will start sinking or not floating quite as high after a handful of trips.

My point being... Buy what YOU think is the best bang for the buck. Like said above I have a good mix of lines but know dudes that buy 10 new RIO lines every year whether they need it or not.

CCW

"For example the tip of the WF will start sinking or not floating quite as high after a handful of trips."

Apply a coat of floatant. I have lines that are over 40 years old and still going.

You can get very good pricing from Sierra Trading on-line for Rio, Cortland Scientific Angler CLOSEOUT lines.  Not all lines in all sizes, but less than $30 buck on some.  For the past three years I have been using lines from Maxxon Outfitters both in fresh and saltwater.  They are working out very well, and prices at half what premium lines go for.

On 1/12/2021 at 11:16 AM, Camo Clad Warrior said:

For example the tip of the WF will start sinking or not floating quite as high after a handful of trips.

I carry a small container of Abolene for use as a dry fly dressing, and also use it to grease the first few feet of my line tip when this happens.  Use for greasing my leader when needed, too.