Fly Tying
Bazzer69

Latest Law look-alike vise

'The FNF Talon has been engineered and built using nuclear grade CNC machinery and design software to create this precision vice.'

Sounds tactical

I swear that the title said “look- alike vise” I guess spell auto correct strikes again. 
I actually have one of those look alike’s, a vise made by CAE in the uk but when I tried to find the website today I couldn’t find it, does anyone know if it’s gone belly up?

Cheers

Barry

On 5/29/2021 at 5:00 PM, niveker said:

'The FNF Talon has been engineered and built using nuclear grade CNC machinery and design software to create this precision vice.'

Sounds tactical

IMHO, sounds like they are trying to justify a high price.

Thanks for the vid DFoster.  Good looking vise but I found the review lacking.

6 hours ago, Moshup said:

Thanks for the vid DFoster.  Good looking vise but I found the review lacking.

As did I - not that I'm looking for a new vise but I wish he would have placed a few hooks in the jaws. Close attention to the effort required could tell me if the engineering is actually there or if it's just over priced because it looks like a Law.  I have noticed from watching Davie McPhail and Oliver Edwards videos how easy it appears to clamp the hook with an actual Law.  They don't need to "crank" on knob to firmly hold a hook and usually just roll the knob with their thumb.

As for the $895 price obviously Renzetti Master, J-Vise, Tiemco II, the Swiss vise and other top of the liners are all in that club.  At that price I start to wonder where the line between the cost being justified by manufacturing, materials, design and "Ooh shiny" is.  Still if you work for your money you can spend it on what you like.

Yes I found it odd that the reviewer did not place one hook in the vise.  The reviewer seemed more like an

advocate for the vise than a true reviewer. Doesn’t  mean that it isn’t a good piece of equipment but I wouldn’t 

buy an expensive piece of equipment like that sight unseen.

56 minutes ago, Noahguide said:

And is that the same vise without the nuclear finish in the latest McPhail video?

I believe the vise in the above video is an actual LAW vise.

So it is! 

Stupidly I don't know that I have ever seen it beyond the close ups the jaws while Davie is tying on it.