Fly Tying
Artistic Angling

Tying thread that goes translucent?

Hello,

I was hoping some of you might share your experiences with threads that go sort of translucent when wet or clear coated. Obviously lighter colors would be more translucent, and thinner threads as well. But have any of you found a particular brand that goes translucent? I know traditional silk will, and something like body quill starts translucent, but any others? I’m looking for something that will show off a silver underbody.

Thanks,

Craig

A single flat layer of Danville single strand floss over tinsel has a nice effect when wet. Flymaster+ 140 denier is probably similar. 

1 hour ago, Artistic Angling said:

I was wanting to do more of a colored variegated effect.

Not sure what you mean, are you planning on wrapping the lighter, translucent material atop the darker.  

Horse tail hair is translucent, blond or white, and is surprisingly durable if coated, and gives a nice segmented effect.  It may be too small if your making bass bugs, as your 'Favorite Species' indicates.  

White silk coated with varnish should do it, that's what the bamboo rod makers use anyway for see through threads.

9 hours ago, Artistic Angling said:

Hello,

I was hoping some of you might share your experiences with threads that go sort of translucent when wet or clear coated. Obviously lighter colors would be more translucent, and thinner threads as well. But have any of you found a particular brand that goes translucent? I know traditional silk will, and something like body quill starts translucent, but any others? I’m looking for something that will show off a silver underbody.

Thanks,

Craig

UNI-Thread 17/0 Trico - white

I long ago began using re-cycled monofilament when I wanted the “thread” to go transparent when finish was applied (6, 4, or even 2lb mono) since saltwater tyers aren’t going down to small sized flies…

Years later I learned that even smaller diameter mono threads were available from sewing shops - but can’t say I’ve ever used them… 

I can confirm that mono thread turns transparent when finish is applied though.

Hope this helps.

”Be a hero… teach a kid to tie flies - then fish them”

I have used monofilament tying thread for this purpose.   Tying over stick on eyes then putting a coat of epoxy or Sally's. 

I agree with the mono.  Try smoke mono for more of a translucent effect vs. a totally clear with regular mono.

Kim

3 hours ago, WWKimba said:

I agree with the mono.  Try smoke mono for more of a translucent effect vs. a totally clear with regular mono.

Kim

Here are four flies tied exclusively with fine mono over other shiny materialsDD59852D-4FE9-4E78-BD7A-C6B1F8BA5464.thumb.jpeg.2fdc907b74d34c72453ac4a80c74a813.jpeg

I use clear thread that I pick up in the craft stores.  It's actually a clear polyester thread.  A 400 meter spool costs about $2.  If you have an old bobbin, you can stretch the holder portion to fit the spool.  Beats having to transfer it to a smaller spool.  It also comes in smoke color.  You can also pick up spools  of metallic polyester thread.  I have gold, silver, copper and pearl spools.  This is what my bobbin set-up looks like.  Next to it is a spool of clear mono I picked up a local fly shop.  I use it for bait fish patterns,  zonkers, nymphs, even on some of my foam patterns.

1325833401_BobbinsandThread(2).jpg.e9138fc32b2bed49efce1e9478e66d6a.jpg

I've got a lot of floss hanging around from my earlier tying days.   Floss or silk thread would give you your best shot at a translucent fly.  You could use 10/0 or 12/0 but if you were building a tapered body it would use up a lot of thread.    These are some large soft hackles I tied up for bass.  The first two I used floss for the over body.  The white one has a holographic silver body under white floss, the second a chartreuse Big Fly thread under yellow floss 

1259522768_P8210538(2).JPG.f13990a4890310f835ade870bb4d151f.JPG

983238085_P8210540(2).JPG.be81632db60d8087d9f444765be57f6a.JPG

I'm not sure whether the body material is craft store or fly shop. It was a translucent brown,  under body is fluorescent orange thread

1625415164_P8210540(3).JPG.4aa70a336f2a9095583a5e633e1bfde3.JPG

This one has a pearl polyester thread under body.  I used a fine clear knotting cord, that I colored pink with a permanent marker.

478932575_P9140281(3).thumb.JPG.dead0a7b5bef57996d5a224fb4479bc8.JPG

All of the bodies are coated with UV resin

Be aware that most 2 lb. mono rates at a .005 to .007 thickness rating - mono tying thread usually rates at .006!  Pay amost $2 for a 100 yard spool or just over $3 for a 250 yard (smallest spool) for clear fishing mono line.  And yes, even bigger savings as the spools of fishing line goes up!

Kim