Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
robow7

Color of choice using mop flies

Now I fully realize that none of you fine tyers out there would ever stoop so low as to actually use a mop fly but...... maybe you have a friend or a pitiful brother in law that uses mop flies on a regular basis, and that being said, have they ever mentioned that they feel a certain color or colors were more effective than others.  Now of course this information is not for myself but rather a "friend", errr, yea that's right, a friend was just curious as to what colors might be most effective since he has only used two colors and found that the bright chartreuse really out fished his white ones. 

Thanks again for helping out my friend : ) 

Depends on the mood of the fish. My grandson tied some nice mop flies that were gray with yellow chenille instead of hackle. Need to field test them.

HA..I tie them and USE them. I aint too proud and I like catching fish. My favorite colors..Tan, Chartreuse, White and Purple. I tie them with bead heads, dumbell eyes or a hackle depending on what type of water I'm fishing. The Bass and Bream love them.

This has been a great discussion. I have one color of a mop head. Would it be possible to do a mop color swap? A small patch would yield a number of mop flies.

Adding: The mop fly offers a lot of variations to fit different situations. As I mentioned, my grandson used chenille instead of hackle. Beads are added; dumbbell eyes are added, etc., so there are infinite ways to tie the mop fly.

I think we need to start a Mop Fly Anonymous group.  My name is Philly and I tie and use Mop flies.

Let's stick to colors.   

Trout-  These are tied with mop pieces from car wash mittens, size 12-14 hooks.  Chartreuse, Olive, Red, Pink and Black.  Bead Head or foam dumbbell eyes(floating)

Panfish-  Yellow has been the top producer, followed by Chartreuse, White, Olive and Blue.  Mainly size 6 hooks.  Bead Head or foam dumbbell eyes(floating)

Bass- Pretty much the same as panfish.  Yellow or White are the top producers, Chartreuse, Olive and Orange.  Hook size 6 to 1/0.  Bead Head or foam dumbbell eyes(floating)

Check the thread mentioned by chugbug27 for pictures.

5 hours ago, chugbug27 said:

It's there @Mark Knapp, the link is embedded and takes a second or two to load. Nice crawfish, btw, looking forward to seeing the results

Yeah, it loads now. It wasn't before (on my computer) For some reason my computer has problems running this site. Thanks bud.

years ago i ran a swap of just mop bodies .   dollar store has some bath mats that have shiny mops mixed with solid colors  they are thinner and go good on 1/64 and 1/80 jigheads