Fly Tying
NJFlyMAn

Some non tying fly fisherman are....

Maybe it just me? But lately I'm running into fly fisherman that don't tye flies. The see me catching fish and ask more about what fly and where did I get it. I then proceed to tell them I tye my own. And I give them a couple of my patterns If they seem like a nice person when talking with them. But the problem i'm having now is, the people who I give the flies to catch a fish or two on the fly, then they lose it, and want me to give them some more of my flies.

I find this very strange. b/c when I ask them why don't they tye flies. They say, it cost a lot of money for all the fly tying materials or it would take them a long time to tye each fly. So after hearing guys telling me these few reasons on why they don't tye up some flies.

Why should they feel that I should just hand them over about a half dozen flies each day i see them on the river for free? Isn't my time valuable? Don't I pay for the material I tell them. And all they can say is you love tying up flies, so I thought you wouldn't mind giving me some of your flies. Never once would they offer to give me anything.

So am i wrong in thinking some of these Fly fishing guys are just beggars?

Or should I just be honored that they like my flies, and they produce fish, So I should just give them away at no cost to them.

What do you think I should do?

Tell them, I gave you enough flies to sample? Pay up for a half/dozen?

Tell them trade me something like tippet or indicators that I can use?

Tell them, it's ok, have some more of my flies and keep fishing out of my back pocket?

End of my morning rant...

NJFlyman..

Wow, you gave them flies, they lost them, and then asked for more? Sounds like fly fishing welfare to me! You're sway too nice. I would have told them they could just watch me catch fish. Takes some gall to lose a guy's flies and go back with your hand out. You didn't have to give them any flies in the first place, so I probably wouldn't give them any more. Trade or sell some-maybe, but give away, not so much. Like you said, you have time and materials invested, plus R & D if it's one of your own patterns.

I would say take some type of payment if it be money or items that you could use. Just tell them that it cost too much to tie all of these flies, so you can't give them away. It's good that they produce fish and people want them but it cost money to tie these flies and hooks and everything else. Unless they were a good friend the first few would be free but then the rest I would want some type of payment.

Long time friends get free flies.

People I just met get free fly(s).

People who come up expecting more free flies get "I'm glad you liked my flies. Thanks for testing them out on that tree. Now I know they are not tree free, so I can price them at $4 each. Would you like a dozen?"

Their logic that you like tying flies, therefore you should give them some is so ridiculous. "Oh, I know you like working on your car, so I thought you wouldn't mind giving it to me." "Oh, I know you like building houses, so I thought you wouldn't mind giving one to me." "Oh crap, I drove the car you gave me into the house you built me....can I get new ones?"

I've given a lot of flies away over the years, but never had anyone ask me for more. Like Oatka, I give flies to good friends (and relatives) and to folks I meet on the water if they express an interest. I've given flies to spin fishermen who were curious abot fly fishing, and explained about using a fly and bubble. I think it's good PR for the sport and does a lot to dispell the image some have of fly fishermen being "snobby" and "elitist".

As for your dilema, I'd barter for strike indicators, tippet material, whatever. Maybe even a can of Bud he's got stashed in the stream.

Their logic that you like tying flies, therefore you should give them some is so ridiculous. "Oh, I know you like working on your car, so I thought you wouldn't mind giving it to me." "Oh, I know you like building houses, so I thought you wouldn't mind giving one to me." "Oh crap, I drove the car you gave me into the house you built me....can I get new ones?"

This is just too funny, and though it is funny the logic makes sense.

I give away lots of flies but mostly to close friends or kids, I have a soft spot for kids that want to fly fish, heck I've given away a full box of flies to a kid I met on the river once. As for if anyone asks for more.... I'll be glad to supply you with as many as you like for a fee of course.

Steve

I give away plenty of flies. My best friend had a friend (I have never met him,) who wanted to start fly fishing. I gave him a box of 300 assorted nymphs and drys. My trip was done for that year, So I had plenty of time to make more. I also told my buddy that I would be happy to resupply, and gave him a price list. When ever I give away flies on the water, I always state that my stream side price is double what the fly shop prices are, and if it works tripple. Then I will usualy donate a few flies for them to try out. At least they know what the going rate is before they ask for more. That rule doesn't apply to friends or fishing partners.

Wow, that takes kahoona's to get a free fly, loose said fly, ask for another. Wow!

I often give flies to friends or kids I see while fishing. Heck, I've given kids flies and showed them how to use them with a bobber on trad tackle just so they could catch a fish on a fly (seriously, a bead head wooly bugger under a bobber works great :))

It is just a nice thing, and a good way to get folks interested in tying or in fly fishing overall...

But in all the years I've done that, I've never had someone ask for more! they are just grateful to recieve them the first time... I think I'd just politely say, I dont have enough to spare more or ask them to pay for the additional ones if they did!

Will

If you have extras I'd offer to sell them some. Otherwise, tell them I don't have any more spare flies. Simple.

Or rather than give them away to begin with, tell them you can sell them a fly, then they won't expect the next one to be free.

Sure you can have some more flies; I'll trade you for that rod

I used to keep my Brother supplied with flies, until I heard him telling his friends that he was "Sponsored". I got him a fly tying kit for his birthday and told him that "Sponsorship" was over. <_<

I usually share my flies with my friends and family. If I meet someone who seems like a nice, decent person and they're struggling, I'll offer them a fly. I've been asked for more than one fly a few times. I always say, $3 per fly or $20 per dozen. You'd be surprised with how many "on the water sales" I've made. :lol: