Fly Tying

I was curious to see what everyone elses favorite method for tying the loop knot. Mine is the non-slip loop, and it hasnt failed me ever.

Perfection knot when I want a loop to stay. A slip and lock loop knot when I want to use a dropper fly.

Rod Harrison's version of the no slip loop knot. Quick, easy, and tested out the strongest of the three no slip loop knots (only by a couple few percent). I've tied it in 8x to 100# test. One of only three knots that I use for hook eyes to tippet/shock.

I use the same one that 126lineman showed. It could not be simpler, just two overhand knots. It's a lot more compact than the illustration shows.

I use an improved Homer Rhode loop knot... on everything from flies to plugs to jigs - works like a charm but it's hard to explain in print (or photos....). It was taught to me by Al Pflueger years ago when I was with the old Tropical Anglers Club in Miami....

For anything in the leader, a good small perfection loop (ideally under 3/8" dia.).

For terminal knots, a non-slip mono loop. 4 or 5 turns, loop size dependent on the size of the fly.

I use a Rapala knot. When I began using loop knots I did some simple testing of the Rapala knot versus the non-slip loop knot. The Rapala knot tested better for the brand of tippet, the size of tippet and the fly size that I most frequently use. But this is not to say that for a different brand of tippet, different tippet size and different fly size, the results might be different. Also, to complicate matters, the number of turns that you use on each knot also affects the knot strength. So it's possible that I was not using the optimum number of turns on the non-slip loop knot.

Non-slip loop for attaching flies. Figure 8 or it's beefed up cousin the King sling otherwise.

Having fly fished now for over 35 years, and fished since before I can remember, I continually wonder why fly fishermen don't use small light wire snaps. I use SPRO "split snaps" in size 1 now for streamers and suface bugs, pretty much every application anyone would use a loop knot. Yes, yes, loop-to-loop tippet connections do not call for a snap, but I've long ago gone to using tippet rings for that. The butt-end of a tapered leader to fly line using a loop-to-loop almost doesn't matter because the leader material is so heavy... no matter what knot you use it will NOT be the weakest link. I use a double surgeon's loop for that.

I tie the small snaps to my tippet using a simple and very strong trilene knot most of the time, which I can tie in my sleep or in the dark with 100% certainty. When I change flies, I'm not retying anything and cutting back on tippet length. No, you're not going to use a snap for a #20 dry fly, but you also will not use a loop knot. The other advantage to a snap is abrasion from the hook eye inside the loop. I HAVE seen a sharp edge on the inside of a hook eye (at the end of the wire where it is bent into the eye shape) cut through a loop knot on a few occasions. A snap prevents this from happening.