Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
teamtrout

Whip Finish?

Just wondering, are there any advantages of whip finishing by hand? To me, it has always appeared slightly slower and harder, so I have always wondered why not just but a $3 whip finish tool?

In some cases I need to whip finish away from the eye of the hook and over materials, in these cases I find it easier to do it by hand. I don't notice it being any slower or more onerous, once you get the hang of it. I tie a lot of buck tail jigs up to 1oz, and it is much easier to whip finish it by hand than with a tool, even the larger one, but that's just my preference. It's really up to the tier

I now have, and can use, both the Matarelli and the Thompson whip finishers. I like using them both. I have tried to whip finish by hand, and although I can do it, I can't seem to get the control I have with the tools. It's just a matter of preference, I suppose.

The theoretical advantage is that you don't need to take the time to find, pickup, and put away the tool. Having said that, I used to whip by hand but I now use a Matarelli tool because I am faster overall with a tool in making the whip finishes. Use a tool caddy so you don't to search for the tool.

Do whatever makes the best whip finishes for you.

It usually depends on what thread I am using but I tend to use a tool more often than by hand. My hands get rough from work and some threads fray easier than others so if I whip finish by hand then I wind up with a frayed mess. I just lay my whip finisher on the base of my vise with the handle hanging off a little and it is ready and waiting when I need it.

I suspect you'll find that, like many other aspects of our hobby, everyone has his/her own preference, and is emphatic in its defense. I hand wrap... never tempted to try to use my whip finisher.

I use a tool most of the time. I have several. Still, if I don't put the tool back in its designated place, the next fly is hand whip finished because I can't find stuff if it's in the wrong place. Even if it's right in front of me!

Honestly, I once left a Matarelli in my hand(I tie with scissors in my hand) and could not find it until after I whip finished by hand.

As well as not being able to drop my fingers on the floor or loose than as easily as a tool you have the advantage of direct contact with the material. That gives you better feel for what is going on. I can also whip finish in places where you can't with a tool. (For example around the post of a parachute hackle without changing the position of the hook in the vice).

It strikes me, when I teach and demonstrate that many people are reluctant to form a whip finish. They hesitate when it comes time to form a whip finish. It is something you are going to have to do on every fly, whatever method you use. If you are reluctant to whip finish it is worth putting a large hook in the vice and spending half an hour practising once in a while.

Cheers,

C.

As well as not being able to drop my fingers on the floor or loose than as easily as a tool you have the advantage of direct contact with the material. That gives you better feel for what is going on.

C.

Do you fish with a hand-line then? Just joking.

I hand whip finished for 20 years or so, all my flies. Then for some reason I got a Matarelli whip finisher and started using it. I use either hand or tool interchangeably. I find the tool better for fine threads and small flies.

If I am ever in so much of a hurry at the vise that I can't take a second to locate a tool, I am in way too much of a hurry PERIOD. I tie as a way to be creative and relax, not to rush through things.

I sometimes think sometimes we fall victim to the "urban myths" that exist in tying - like you should always tie with your scissors in your hand, for speed. If you don't, your not a "good" tier. If you don't whip finish by hand, your not a "good" tier, etc.

SilverCreek hit it - It's just a matter of personal preference. I use a whip finisher. (and don't hold my scissors when tying)

I've never owned the first whip finisher and never felt the need (of course, as a salt water tyer and jig maker I'm not working wtih hooks smaller than a #6...). I did find years ago that when I was teaching tying that most of my students struggled with whip finishing by hand...

Guest rich mc

when I first started tying I was instructed on the materelli rotating tool. I thought that was such a neat tool.. I prefer to use that tool and have problems using a non rotating one . rich mc

There's no "advantage" to hand whip finishing, but I can have 3 turns on the fly before you can pick up you tool (in my avitar, I'm doing a whip finish). I don't hand whip finish for speed or finesse, though. I do it because it's too simple an operation to be bothered with having an extra, specialized tool.

To be fair, though, some people just never develop the dexterity needed to do hand whip finishes. For them, the tool is a godsend.

Neither is "superior". Both techniques produce exactly the same finish. It's just a matter of which you are more comfortable doing.

If you hand whip it's best to add head cement to the knot because it's hard to mimic the tension caused by a tool. I use a materelli style tool because I can get away with not using cement if I need to. This being said, I have been using loon water based head cement and the tiniest amount of it seeps in almost instantly.

This being said... Do whatever you need to in order to make a durable fly.