Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
DarrellP

winging with Squirrel

What method do you guys use to attach squirrel wings? It drives me a little crazy. I end up using a lot of wax and then superglue. I tried attaching it pointed forward and then bending it back like Ed Haas. No go for me.

Evidently I can't spell this early. Could not edit the topic line. Hell, I went to Mississippi State. Go dawgs!

Edited by DarrellP

The wax might cover the hair so the super glue does not penetrate to get a good grip..

I don't use squirrel hair as much as I should, due mostly to this problem and unsightly, big, square heads. Covering the heads with plastic eyes and clear hardening agents can mask the latter.

The best I can do is to use it sparsely and add it in thin layers with glue between each one. At least the flies hold up.

Rocco

The fly I use squirrel in is muddlers, I put in one or two sparse stacks just cinching down with about three turns of thread, then a drop of superglue in the end fibers and finish the wraps. I've never had the fibers pull out even before using superglue but instead head cement. Now and then still use head cement.

Squirrel is a hard hair, it will not compress. Hair that will compress is easy to lock in place with a locking turn. (once around the wing only then tie that turn down). This cannot work for hard hairs. Some kind of adhesive is needed otherwise they will pull out, super glue is fine. Tie in the wing. Two turns is sufficient. trim the butts off. Apply a drop of glue to the cut ends, then continue. Adding lots of wax will only stop the glue penetrating.

Cheers,

C.

squirrel hairs are slipprier than snake sh1t on a door knob

i use small clumps of hair for wings and on occassion ive used super glue on the butt ends but i just used extremely tight wraps of thread. then i use uv resin to finish the head

WLdnQy6.jpg

i havent noticed any hairs pulling out

I prefer to use a cobblers wax and wrap in small bunches, normally 2 or 3 to make the total wing thickness. Trying not to trap the whole wing thickness in one go.

I trim the butts to length, dose them with cement (Sally) and then tie in; seems to keep things in order.

Regards,

Scott

I got the title for you, Darrell. I've only got on squirrel tail (road kill in front of the house) and have only used it for a few flies. I used superglue and they stayed in place through several fishing trips.

I didn't like it as much as the raccoon tail fibers, so I haven't used it since.

Been a while since I've been around, but it looks like I've got good timing. I love squirrel tail wings. I tie in the full bundle at the back of the head with a few good wraps. Then I pull a small part of the top fibers straight up and put a good wrap or two against the front of them and over the rest of the fibers. Repeat, repeat, repeat, working your way forward. When you have worked through all of the fibers, use a good, fine scissors and trip the butts tight to the thread and then over-wrap for a clean head. It's perhaps a bit more fiddly than a drop of super glue, but it has always locked things in nicely for me.

I tie a lot of streamers with squirrel tail. I years ago, I worked with multiple small bundles, but I prefer to stack the hair. So now I use 6/0 UTC, twist to cord the thread, and really crank down on it. I also trim the butt ends at a slight angle so my thread touches more butt ends than cutting it off square. Maintain good thread control of course, and keep your thread tight.

One major consideration is that since it is relatively stiff and does not flair, you can get away with fewer hairs to make a wing than with most other materials. Make sure you have a thread base and on larger flies, use the lightest UV Resin or lightest head cement that will soak in and not bulk. Add a throat or hackle and finish the head with a couple coats of thin UV resin.

If you can find a copy of the video "Hooked on Fly Tying, Practacal Atlantic Salmon Flies with Dick Talleur" he uses lots of dyed squirrel tail to tie fishing versions classic salmon flies by substituting the squirrel for pricey feathers - along with these flies, Dick shows how he deals with pesky squirrel tail.

All replies helpful.  Squirrel is slippery.  I pre=trim ends with a taper to create taper for thread over the top.  As you tie down after the "set wraps" the wraps grab different ends as you travel back and forth over the head.  Many try to put too much on, also.  One of my best flies uses very few fibers with similar small amount of dyed bear hair for a streamer.  Size: #12- 4X long.  I bet there are no more than 2 dozen hairs combined in the wing.  Real skinny fly with tinsel body and wing only.

I use a bit of squirrel occasionally for tarpon flies - as a collar, not a wing.  No, it doesn't compress at all - my usual technique is to place the entire collar as a bundle, square cut on top of my tie in point then with the thread only under light tension after a few turns I roll the bundle around the hook shank before tightening up on the thread to hold it in place - the stroke the hairs back towards the hook eye to make them stand up a bit before completing the tying process.  I also add a tiny drop of superglue (the thin formula - my favorite is still Krazy Glue...) on the butts of the squirrel hair before covering then with the thread as I'm usually intent on creating a head that's just built up thread... Here's a few pics of the finished flies... 

cTZDiHS.jpg

EttFxVB.jpg

QNqFHgI.jpg

All of the flies shown started out as variations of Stu Apte's Apte Too tarpon pattern.  The last version is my own Furnace Squirrel... These bugs were done about 30 or more years ago using both gray and fox squirrel collars... Back then I was using Tiemco's 800s hooks (discontinued) .  If I did them today they'd be on Owner Aki hooks.  The one sample shown with a doubled wire weedguard was done at the request of a specific guide down in the Keys dealing with tarpon laying under floating grass.  I never got any feedback on how it worked from him...