Fly Tying
stabgnid

Found in the yard ..

Look what my wife found in the yard tonight a Wild Turkey Feather !!! Now I need to know how to wash it ???

Steve-stabgnid

20170417_190551_zpsif2emk1u.jpg

Don't wash it. Just put in a plastic bag and put in the freezer for a couple weeks. That should kill any bugs.

Mottled turkey, you can tie some awesome muddlers and caddis with that. I'm thinking I wouldn't wash it at all. But you do want to seal it up or it will/could get amazling moth eaten over the summer.

That's a tail feather, not a mottled oak feather. (which is a secondary wing feather.) But you can tie whatever using that feather, it'll just be darker in tone.

I wouldn't wash it, either. The only thing you have to worry about is in storage, not on what's already on the feather. Moths and carpet beetles eat feathers, everything else eats blood or skin.

Great find. Now send her out to find the matching other side feather

That's funny.

I am surprised that nobody has express concern about the legality of owning such feather. Are we over it, finally? :)

Turkeys aren't protected, Bimini.

I don't wash feathers that look good. I don't pick up feathers that look "chewed".

I've used two sides of one feather to tie muddlers before and get a reasonably matched pair of sides. I've also used one slip on a caddis back for the wing and just fold it to form the tent, lacquer the back side so it sort of stays together for a few fish..

Great find. Now send her out to find the matching other side feather

That's funny.

I am surprised that nobody has express concern about the legality of owning such feather. Are we over it, finally? smile.png

Sending my Grandson to the woods tomorrow to see if he can find anymore !

Steve-stabgnid

There isn't a right/left side of a turkey tail feather. There is some variation, but not enough to worry about it.

I have 2 birds worth. Wings I bag left separately from right and tail then clip all bags together. I don't pluck them as there will be some meat left on it so I clip all feathers as close to skin as I can. Even the Tom turkey beard gets bagged. I don't wash them but do freeze them about a week or so and air them when they come out and thaw. A small resistant bag into bag then long term store in cool dry spot.

Congrats on he find. Wrapped turkey tail makes great nymph bodies, too, like a dark-phase pheasant tail.

Regards,

Scott