Fly Tying
yooperflyfisher

Smitty's fly box

You keep asking questions about ways to spend more money. $20.00 a month can build a substantial cache of materials you WANT ... rather than kits with stuff you don't want or already have.

On the other hand, if you have the money ... go for it. Fly fishing is rife with people who spend more money than they should.

There is good and bad with such things.

The Good: you get exposed to materials that may teach you a new technique or substitution for something you have been using.

The Bad: They will not be tailored to the fish, and necessary lures/flies, that will be what you want or need for your fishing.

I'd MUCH rather spend on materials for specific patterns and have useable stuff come in the mail.

But I must say. I ordered a few spinners from Sheldon's /Mepps and, for the heck of it, I got a "grab bag" while I was there. It was six spinners and every one was something I will use and would have cost twice as much if bought individually.

Looking at Smitty's - the $20 Intermediate Box they show looks like it ties 16 hoppers. The Hopper Fishing store will do that for $9 ($5.75/12 for a kit with hooks) plus a $2 spool of thread. Just say'n

I have to agree with Mike on this one. With the internet, you have every pattern in the world at you finger tips. Countless Step by step tutorials and videos by the the biggest names in fly tying. So just buy the materials you need and tie some flies. You don't need a kit to tie flies. BUT, if you like getting presents in the mail every month, GO FOR IT!

you have been posting flies that i assume are not from a monthly subscription. so why spend $20 a month?

i wonder if you really take the advise of experienced tyers on this forum who try to help you?

you have been posting flies that i assume are not from a monthly subscription. so why spend $20 a month?

i wonder if you really take the advise of experienced tyers on this forum who try to help you?

No they were not.

Instead of getting it i might buy stuff to tie a rainbow warrior!

Your best bet is to join a Trout Unlimited Chapter or find an experienced tier to show you the best way to invest in materials. Of course, if you're like everyone else who becomes addicted, you'll spend too much anyway. I'd start with someone who can give you good advice.

BUT, if you like getting presents in the mail every month, GO FOR IT!

I think you just hit the market for -- as a gift. I wouldn't buy it for myself, but it would probably make a more appreciated Christmas present for an interested child (for example) than socks and underwear.