Fly Tying
Ed Gallop

Windows 8 Compatability...

I do not know if it is just me but I can't copy, paste, or post pictures or links on this site. I think it is my operating system on my new computer. Windows 8. I am very displeased with it and the computer, a Hewlett Packard. I bought it because my old Dell computer with XP was slow and jams constantly. I can't use a lot of my other software with Windows 8, including my hiking GPS, and there are no drivers to install. Is anyone else having such problems?

I don't use Windows 8, so I can't answer your specific question. However, I will say that 99% of my computer problems went away when I switched to an Apple. It can run Window applications too, but I stay away from them if you can. Apple computers, including the operating system and a lot of software run about $1000-1200. They are worth the $. Life is too short for all the frustrations of a finicky computer.

Ed, for older programs I have found using MicroSoft's Virtual XP to work well with Windows 7. I have a number of programs that will never likely be directly supported in the x86 environment. I am not a PC geek, but a geek none the less.

I do not know if it is just me but I can't copy, paste, or post pictures or links on this site. I think it is my operating system on my new computer. Windows 8. I am very displeased with it and the computer, a Hewlett Packard. I bought it because my old Dell computer with XP was slow and jams constantly. I can't use a lot of my other software with Windows 8, including my hiking GPS, and there are no drivers to install. Is anyone else having such problems?

I'm running Windows 8.1 and using Chrome for my browser. Here are a link to a page on Cheech's website, a link to a photo and an attached photo:

http://www.flyfishfood.com/2014/09/product-review-loon-flow-uv-resin.html

DSC00832.JPG

let's see if this works

post-23704-0-80175300-1410991435_thumb.jpg

sounds like your browser settings, not the OS

I agree...I was not able to make quotes on posts when I was using Internet Explorer 11 so I bumped back to Internet Explorer 10 and I have not has any issues since. See if you are able to post pictures in Chrome. If so then most likely it is some type of settings in IE that is the culprit. Just my 2 cents worth and that will not buy you much...LOL

I have an old Dell with XP and it seems to work but it is a slow worn out computer. When I put Chrome on my newer HP it slowed down so I took it off. I will put it back on and see what happens. I should have purchased a better computer. My patience is wearing thin. But... You guys are right. It is the browser, not the computer. Thanks. Ed.

Ed... it's not just you. I've never no make that NEVER heard from any acquaintance that had anything good to say about Windows 8. A lot of them have ditched and gone Apple (don't know if that's any better). I'm still using Win7 on my laptop and dreading the day I'm forced to upgrade. I think Microsoft has gone wacko like the folks at Google, who think all their clients are teenage geeks/Apps users. Let me ask whether you've discovered that you can click on one of those apps and get into a non-app interface that works similarly to Win7. Maybe you've already tried that, but I thought I'd pass it on. You'll need to hunt and peck, as I don't remember the name of the tile that does this. Far as I know every time you log back on, you'll be in the tiles view, but you can switch over and work in a more familiar environment.

And I still use IE 10 so haven't had any problems beyond those I've always had in all the other versions.

Good luck.

Windows already, (a while ago, actually) admitted that W8 was a bust. In most places, if you are buying a new computer, they should've offered you the choice of 8 or Windows 7.

Windows 8 sucks ... and it will not work with the Honda Diagnostic Systems for Marine applications.

If you bought your unit at a good computer store, call them and see if you can still have 7 put on, before you load too many other things on there.

I have an old Dell with XP and it seems to work but it is a slow worn out computer. When I put Chrome on my newer HP it slowed down so I took it off. I will put it back on and see what happens. I should have purchased a better computer. My patience is wearing thin. But... You guys are right. It is the browser, not the computer. Thanks. Ed.

I just tried IE on Win8.1. It locked up when I tried to embed a link.

Try Chrome again. It's worked pretty good for me.

at home, I have window 8 on a laptop and use the chrome browser. seems to work just fine for me

however, at work (major defense contractor), we have windows 7 and internet explorer 11.

we cant get videos, photos (only some of the time), I cant edit a post if I screw it up , cut and paste is iffy etc

our security department blocks a lot of websites such as blogs, you tube, entertainment etc. sites that could let in a virus of some kind that might infect thousands of computers

so my suggestion would be to learn windows 8 and use a different browser.

"Windows 8 sucks ... and it will not work with the Honda Diagnostic Systems for Marine applications."

I think it might be the other way around. the application you refer to may not have been updated to run in the window 8 environment

Use FireFox. For Me, it is much better than chrome. Been using it for years, no issues whatsoever. Keep it updated.