Fly Tying
Steeldrifter

Nice Au Sable pike on the fly

S09cZs.jpg

Avoided all the crazies this holiday weekend and headed North for a couple days mid week to get some work done on the cabin. I can never go near the Au Sable without sneaking in some fishing so after getting the yard work done yesterday evening I grabbed the 10wt fly rod and a box of pike flies I have been tying the past few weeks and hit the river for a couple hours. It was more like an October day with the cold drizzle and fog but was well worth it since I had numerous smaller pike chase the fly and then on the last cast this nice one just nail the streamer and put up a heck of a good fight.

Kind of skinny for its length and it's head size. Is that normal for them after a Michigan winter or do they spawn this time of the year.

Yep they spawn here early spring, plus these are river fish not lake fish so most river pike are leaner than the lake dwelling fish. It actually had a pretty decent girth to it just not a sagging belly like some lake fish get.

Mike the pike here spawn early spring so it could be spawning scars.

Good call avoiding the crazies. I made the mistake of trying to float the Au Sable on Memorial Day once--won't do that again. :) That is a dandy of a pike!

Gorgeous fish Steve!

Slice the fillets out of that guy. Carefully slide above and below y-bones and remove them. Cut top sirloin into fish fingers and bottom into patties and have some good fresh boneless pike eating from good water. UmmUmm

Those top strips after you cut y-bones would be perfect to ka-bob. Cut them in 1" sections and spear them on your stick with various other items and bbq . That is a way I've never done it and one of the few ways I've never eaten pike but I have taken the heft fillets below the y-bones and bbq-ed them skin side down and basted with mixed bbq sauce and honey. Again, delicious.

By the time you add barbecue sauce, smoke, and honey, newspaper would taste good too. (grin)

Pipe are actually OK eating -- y bones aside -- but they do suffer by comparison with the walleye, perch, and pan fish in the same waters.

And freshness makes a big difference. Shore lunch made with newly caught pike and walleyes really narrows the taste difference.

Rocco