Fly Tying
FlatsRoamer

Cheap Clousers

Hey guys ,trying to save up some $$$ for a trip to Bariloche in Patagonia. So I started an eBay store and wanted to sell flies . Please tell me if you have any suggestions... thanks!!!

http://m.ebay.com/itm/10-Pack-White-Clouser-Minnow-Flies-size-4-/301977366983?nav=SEARCH

Th flies look good but on some of those the hair is uneven as it parts around the hook. Try to even out the hairs around the hook so it looks more uniform. I would also wrap thread around the hook shank to the bend and back before tying the rest of the fly. You seem to have open wraps doing that on the 2nd pic. Covering the shank first will look better. This doesn't matter to the fish but remember on Ebay you are trying to catch fisherman, not fish!

When you tie to sell;you HAVE to tie the patterns as perfectly as possible.People want to buy flies from private tiers because you get shotty mass produced stuff from a lot of places.Take your time and put your heart into every one of them!

I'm about the opposite of a business man so I'm not criticizing, I'm just scratching my head and wondering.
I don't ebay much but when I clicked on your link, I saw your "10 for $20.00" and right above that there were pics/links to other Clouser Deep Minnows for $1.75... I don't mean to be overly harsh, but if you can finance a fishing trip to Patagonia by selling Clouser Minnows on ebay to other fly tiers, you are a magician. Doing it without a wholesale truckload of dumbell eyes on hand is even more mysterious.

Based on how you received critiques on your flies I know my suggestion is going to go over like a wet fart in church. I prefer telling kids what they need to hear instead of what they want to hear. Plus you asked so here goes.

You just started tying clousers a few weeks ago. While they will fish just fine they are in no way of a quality that would please paying customers. Close your eBay store before you get a bad sellers reputation. Get a real job at a fast food joint to make some spending cash on a family trip. You will never ever make the money equivelant to the effort by selling flies.

Keep your priorities in order. Fishing is a hobby enjoyed when you got nothing better to do. You will not ever make a livable wage from a hobby. Anybody who tells you otherwise is simply coddling you. Concentrate on school, get great grades, go to the best college you can get into, go for a real degree (anything involving math and nothing in the liberal arts colleges) or a trade that doesn't involve green energy and get a job paying a livable wage your 1st year out of school, and fish on the weekends.

I've been a commercial tyer for many years (but have pretty much quit doing large orders for shops.. since I'm also a full time fishing guide.). In all that time - if I actually counted the hours spent at the bench my "pay" was tiny at best... Even with the royalties I draw from Umpqua and when tying for three shops at the same time - it was more a labor of love than any sound money making activity... Remember, as well, that I've had a business license since the early eighties, pay my federal excise taxes as a manufacturer (that's something that "internet sellers" probably never think about) - but also buy my materials at wholesale (I pay the same prices that shops pay for their goods - sometimes less....).

Here's what I was taught years ago about the tackle business... "kid, we'll make a small fortune in the tackle business... first we'll start with a large fortune..." Look at it carefully and you might decide you're better off with a part-time job that actually pays better....

Definitely make sure that you comply with IRS 720. I have to as a custom rod builder. I file every quarter. You should also check with the state department of revenue as you will probably be liable for state and local sales taxes for items sold in your state. Some states might require collecting sales tax on items from another state.

Do your homework and save a lot of grief later on.

Around here there are very few jobs that a kid can do who is under 16. You might get someone to throw you some under the table cash but it's illegal to hire them in most cases. I think maybe , or at least they used to be able to, bus tables in a restaurant, sell news papers and maybe not a whole lot more. I don't know if that's federal or state regs but all my grand kids have trouble getting work till 16yo and even then there are limits on hours worked. Oh you can sell lemonade if you get a peddlers( $200) permit from the town. It's not at all like when I was a kid. I had a 108 customer paper route at age 11 and split part of that off to another kid whom I paid to deliver the papers to 35 customers because it was kind of removed from the main route. At age 13 I took that back, in 1963 I averaged over $50 a week at age 13. At 14 I went to work in a catering service and canteen truck warehouse part time winters and full time summers legally, couldn't believe my paper route paid more if you included tips. At 15 I worked janitorial, legally and cleaned one whole floor of the IBM building at night. I made $1.25 and hour in 1965 and kept that job till I went to school at 18 to be a mechanic. It's not like that today, at least around these parts. I used to think the kids were lazy, no some want to work but can not around here. That's our highly liberal society at work for them.

Well I guess liberal NJ is far more work friendly for minors.

http://lwd.dol.state.nj.us/labor/wagehour/content/child_labor.html

I think Flats would make a ton more money at a regular minimum wage job than he could selling flies. Not because of his quality or price point but because of the steadiness of the work and pay.