Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Steeldrifter

Preppers?

Well didn't know what to name this. I have never been a "prepper" but with all the stuff in the world going on, the past few weeks I have set up a food pantry, started buying water, rice, canned foods, don' want to seem like a crazy person, but just figure it's better to "have an not need than need an not have" .

Anyone else here that way?

I dunno man, maybe lol.

I always thought it was nuts to do it. But lately with the Russia stuff, ww3 a real thing more than ever, civil unrest like was in 2020...cyber attacks, I figured it was not wrong to at least be prepared.

But since you asked.....

LLayHd8.jpg

When I took the oath at the induction center, it was to "defend against all enemies, from within and without." Paraphrasing as that was over 50 years ago.

Nothing wrong with a well stocked pantry, I garden and can - dehydrate, hunt and can, buy bulk and dry can - store non perishables, just work out a rotation system to keep shelf life realistic. If you are looking at commercial foods be cautious of expense and quality, you can home prepare a lot of self stable foods yourself.

That is the lesson we have learned over the last two years, I would never thought things could get so side tracked. We garden, and can and have a small freezer stocked. We’re getting chickens at the end of the month, and live in one the highest density of deer areas in lower Michigan. I hope things don’t get any worse for the sake of young folks, I have two kids and three grand kids, I’d like to see the best for all of them.

Mike.

No kids and old enough to not care much, anymore.  I'll be one of those the non-gun owners will fear.  If Wife and I need food, I'm looking for some of those people.

I've had a hundred pounds of rice and a hundred pounds of beans on the shelf for years. lately we've been adding canned, dried carrots, milk and eggs etc. to the storage. Not to mention four plugged in freezers full of stuff we harvested.

No you are not crazy. It's worse for us up here because we are so dependent on shipping. If the truckers or the shipyard workers get upset, (and we know they do) we don't get stuff, it means empty grocery stores. Remember the toilet paper thing, change that to food, it can happen any time.

Nothing wrong with being prepared, even if it never happens.

1 hour ago, mikechell said:

No kids and old enough to not care much, anymore.  I'll be one of those the non-gun owners will fear.  If Wife and I need food, I'm looking for some of those people.

So to be clear, you'd kill people and take their food? Wow, dude. Buy some food.

I’ll second the toilet paper. We came close to running out of TP just from an over hyped pandemic. I couldn’t imagine what a real crisis would do to the TP supply. With the shortage of ammo i just bought the 1st whole case of ammo that I’ve ever bought and I will most definitely be buying more. I am not a prepper but have enough food in my house to survive a few months. I can barter after that. 

There is a mill about 7 miles up the road that makes TP and has a warehouse full of TP. I recall the panic in the 50s when everyone thought the Russkis were going to invade us. Never could figure how they would do it. People were building bomb shelters, stocking up with just about anything you could find, etc. But the time never came and, IMHO, won't happen.

16 hours ago, mikechell said:

I think that anybody that planned ahead enough to put aside food will also be armed and prepare to defend it. I'm not sure there are going to be very many unarmed people with stockpiles of food. I think you need a new plan.

At least there's some feral chickens and pythons around you can snack on  for a bit.

14 hours ago, Poopdeck said:

I’ll second the toilet paper. We came close to running out of TP just from an over hyped pandemic. I couldn’t imagine what a real crisis would do to the TP supply.

Yup TP is something else I have been picking up one extra 12 pack of everytime I go to the grocery store. Currently have 18 12 packs of it stocked up just in case.

5 hours ago, skeet3t said:

There is a mill about 7 miles up the road that makes TP and has a warehouse full of TP. I recall the panic in the 50s when everyone thought the Russkis were going to invade us. Never could figure how they would do it. People were building bomb shelters, stocking up with just about anything you could find, etc. But the time never came and, IMHO, won't happen.

This is kind of an off the wall post but your post skeet brings back to mind something that happened years ago in northern WI. Some of the very self-reliant young folks got together and decided on plans to build their own houses on what was cheap property back then. I think there 3 or 4 of them including a good friend of mine lived next to my folks and hunted and fished continuously when not working. Well, they got everything together and went in to get financing through what I think was like HUD or some government program with lower interest. Their plans were reviewed and all was approved except for the root cellars they all wanted to put. Well, they did a little studying on this problem and came up with a simple way to get all their plans approved. They redesigned and renamed their root cellars into "bomb shelters". 

I don't hoard to plan ahead but lately I am seriously thinking about using my underground tornado shelter, which is a pretty big one of block with roof of poured concrete and room for several shelving units to begin a small accumulation of supplied that would last long enough to decide if it's worth living in the world that's left or not.

22 hours ago, Mark Knapp said:

So to be clear, you'd kill people and take their food? Wow, dude. Buy some food.

Hmmmm ... take their food ... or turn them into food.  Either works for me.  Considering we're "prepping" for an apocalyptic future ... I'll become a predator.

4 hours ago, mikechell said:

Hmmmm ... take their food ... or turn them into food.  Either works for me.  Considering we're "prepping" for an apocalyptic future ... I'll become a predator.

Maybe not the apocalyptic future but WWIII I wouldn't bet my life on it, or my wife's. I would have thought you more than any of us could appreciate how much people could screw this up.

I'd rather think it "could" happen and be ready than think it won't and suffer the consequences.

I wish us all the best. Even you.😁

Your bud.