Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
upnorthtier

you're favorite dubbing

I was going through my bins of dubbing and realized i have way to much of it. Probably more than half ill never use, pretty sure I'm not the only one.

Curious If you had to pick 1 kind of dubbing what would it be and why

For me it would be senyo's laser dub, i can dub drys right down to 20's, nymphs and salmon flies with it, has just enough sparkle to it and comes in every color possible, the fibers are long enough to tease out for a buggy look. For me it's a do it all

That's one tough question.  I really like SemperFli kapok but I'm not sure if it's my favorite

any natural fur dubbing is good for ME

ive tried the kapok dubbing and its not my favorite. 👎 way too fine for ME

requires a lot of it just to make a dubbed body 👎

I use whatever kind of dubbing will do what the fly I am tying calls for. I have a whole drawer of synthetic dubbing and at least a whole drawer of natural including hairs mask and underfur of all manner of fur bearers. What I don't have is kapok.

I like it that way, I don't feel a need to cut back.

I don't have a favorite.  I prefer to use a natural dubbing, but don't have a problem using synthetics, or a mix of both.

I tend to gravitate towards shiny things like ice dub but otherwise can’t say I have a preference as long as it’s close to the color I’m looking for. 

I don't fish/tie dries very often. Leeches and scuds = simi seal and a touch of ice dub. Wooly Buggers and most nymphs = SLF bug dub.  

I also really don’t a favorite simply because certain patterns call for particular dubbing, for instance some wet flies call for sparse mole hair or other natural, and then many modern streamer patterns call for synthetic materials. I’ve got a lot different materials but one I would really like to get Delaware river club spectrumized dubbing for some dry fly patterns.

Mike.

I have just started using trilobal STS and like it a lot.  I guess Muskrat is my all around favorite to handle.

Rabbit/hare’s ear - great in it’s natural state; easy to bleach, dye, bleach & dye

Acrylic yarn - cut into 3/4” pieces and run through a coffee grinder; almost any color you can think of, works as well on dries, wets, nymphs, streamers, etc

Ice Dub/FTD Starburst - lots of sparkle

Regards,
Scott 

Since I don't buy any dubbing, my favorite has to be my own mixes.  They work for me and are much less expensive.  I "shop" yard sales, flea markets, and can often get a half skein for a quarter.  I can also get whole bags of assorted yarn for a buck.