Fly Tying
DWSmith

What defines a man cave?

My office (It is called a media room (???) on the blueprints.) was barely as big as a walk-in closet and terribly over crowded but it had a window.  That has changed.

Our son and grandson have moved to their own place.  That freed up 2 bedrooms.  I took over one of them.

For the past week I've been moving furniture, stereo equipment, and odds-and-ends into my new room in my spare time.  It's just about the way I want it.

Since I have long guns, rods and reels, fly tying equipment, ham radio gear, occasionally my hound dog, and a few other manly-man type things in this room does that make it a man cave?  🙂

To you what determines whether or not a room is a man cave?

Geez!  Thanks.  I'm glad you mentioned that.  I'll have to bring in my bottle of rye and bottle of bourbon along with my glass (it's a jelly jar like the one Mark Harmon's character used on NCIS).

Whether you have poo poury or smell-pretty candles or nothing but weapons and fishing gear ... If it's where you'd rather be than, say, anywhere else ... it's YOUR man cave.

On the other hand, if it doesn't have rough sawn wood panel walls, it might not qualify as a man cave.

To me being in a man cave sounds to much like being in a sausage factory.  My entire house is my home so I don’t have a separate man cave but I would guess a mans cave is determined by where the wife says it is. 

Simplest definition of a man-cave in in my opinion is this.... A room used mainly by you that is filled with what your passions/enjoyment in life are. For me it's my gun room, or my theater room, for others it may be a sports themed room, fishing/hunting room, or an aquarium fish keeping room, or collectables room. Whatever it may be, if the room is filled with those items you enjoy and you are the primary user of the room, then that makes it your man-cave to me.

On 9/19/2023 at 9:11 PM, mikechell said:

On the other hand, if it doesn't have rough sawn wood panel walls, it might not qualify as a man cave.

So an out house is a man cave?!?!?! <just kidding>

I'm thinking my room qualifies as a man cave but I'll have to ask SWMBO just to be certain.  😜