Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Mark Knapp

Christmas fly challenge

On 12/10/2023 at 4:42 AM, Mark Knapp said:

I was pleasantly surprised this morning when my prize from the turkey fly challenge walked in the door with the mail lady. I am super, super pleased. And Na, na, na to all you guys who didn't tie a fly.

Here's the fly I tied.

20231122_095546.jpg

Here's what I won. Thank you very much Trout.

prize.jpg

I'm keeping what I won, but I would like to pass the challenge on. Let's all tie flies related to the Christmas season. You can tie a Christmas ornament or glass ball, a menorah or dreidel or even something for New Years. You can tie Rudolph, anything you want as long as it is related and has a hook. We will vote on them anonymously and I will send a nice price. (like the one I got)

To start it off, I tied one. Here's Rudolph's nose. Since my fly (Rudolph's nose) is so good, 😁, I'm the admin. of this contest, and I had a head start, I'm going to disqualify myself from the running.

20231124_234352.jpg

This contest runs through midnight, of the 5th of January. Thanks for starting a really nice thing Trouttramp. Ready, set, go!!!

Awesome!!! 

20 hours ago, livetaytay said:

Awesome!!! 

Thank you. Welcome to our forum.

Can you catch a gold fish on a fly? 😁

Welcome again.

I have actively fly fished for goldfish and koi on several occasions.Released goldfish and koi can get quite large in suburban retention ponds.Yet to catch one but they are not hard to spot.How they do not get eaten by herons bass pike turtles etc is a mystery.Some cool work so far ,Happy Holidays to all.

Festivus pole grew some branches, I was at the fly shop and they had a green hen neck on clearance for $2.  I couldn’t resist updating my tree when I saw it.  Added some crystal chenille balls to the end of some tippet for ornaments and some fl. Orange diamond braid for a star.  
IMG_1944.thumb.jpeg.c70e2a08d350359b9f411aae5f4a3a9a.jpeg

17 hours ago, Trouttramp said:

Heff gets my vote.

Festivus/Christmas tree.

Festivus pole fly made me laugh. Good stuff!

+1

My vote is for trout tramp,  I liked the garland and it reminded me of the tree my mom has.  

OK you guys, vote on these flies. If you want to vote unanimously, send me a PM. We thank you for your support.

Tough one between Heff2 and Trouttramp, but I gotta go with Heff2 because Festivus for the rest of us.