Fly Tying
3FL2

Hatches Reviews

Hatches has hatched!! This magazine is by far one if not the best fly tying mag I got. Colorful descriptive, and packed with useful info that I will actually read. This is one hatch that will be difficult to Match. Congrats on everyone that worked on this masterpiece. I can't wait to show the guys in my local fly shop!! Nice job!! This will be very useful during the height of FLY TYING SEASON!!

Thanks you Hatches Staff!! Keep up the good work!!

I think it's a great magazine and I especially like the way the articles are presented- there is no "Continued on page ..." after the first few paragraphs.

I noticed quite a few editorial errors, a couple typos, and some grammatical errors, but I'm betting that will get worked out in future issues. There was a misplaced paragraph in the bluegill flies article, the Allie Worm and HumBug paragraphs were transposed- that kind of thing.

All in all though, it was the best fly tying mag I've ever seen. It's one that won't get thrown away after a few months. To keep it relatively light on advertisements and keep the continuous flow of articles, it's worth every penny of the cover price. If JStockard keeps up the offer of a free copy with a $50 order, I'm pretty sure I'll keep taking them up on it...

Great job guys!

Well, after reading mine front to back. I would have to say that the articles were well written and very imformative. The photos were excellent, and I want to thank everyone who had a hand in this. You did a fantastic job! :thumbup: I'm keeping this baby for future reference, I know it will get dog eared and worn pretty good!!! You all did a great job :headbang:

Lynn

I received the Hatches magazine yesterday, and what an awesome magazine!! Over the years , I have read many magazines related to fly tying and fly fishing. This magazine was , by far , the best I have read. Great photography, informative articles and easy to understand tying related features. Hats off to all that made this possible.

Have a good one

Pat Carroll

A truly great magazine!, There's only one single issue of any other magazine that I think I even comes close to this one, Great job to everybody involved, Amazing work :headbang: Can't wait for the next issue :D . :clapping:

Got my copy today, and may I say congratulations to all involved on a job well done. The in depth discussion of the why's and hows of tying flies is very entertaining and informative.

It was well written and very colorful. However, I did not find a lot of the articles useful. I tie mostly trout flies. The quill article was good but did not present the information the way AK does and left out a lot of important information about quills. Anyway, I did enjoy it but I if I had to choose between "Fly Tyer" and "Hatches" I would choose the Fly Tyer. Luckily, I can afford both.

Nice job. It's a bid undertaking.

Ted

I think it was great because it did NOT focus entirely on trout flies. The mix of articles covered a broad spectrum and I salute the folks for bringing it all together. In my opinion, even with a few stumbles, it blew away several of the "big name" fly fishing rags out there.

I got my copy and have found hatches to be better the Fly tier. With a good mix from all. I was inpressed with it and have just got a lot more to read and nay have to go back to read some over to get all the infomation out of it

Still reading the quill wing section..I've tried it and i cant get them to stay up.

3fl2-- In step 8 it says to lift the wings to the upright position and build a thread base. The thread base is done the same way as any other type of wing. You may not be pulling the wings far enough while your doing the thread base or you may not have enough thread. A lot of folks are using super fine thread now which will require more wraps or you could put a very small amount of dubbing that will match what your going to use on the body to help prop them up.