Fly Tying
Fontinalis

Classic Winged Wet Fly Swap

Hi Sukhoidave, welcome aboard and I look forward to seeing your work.

mlwebb, thanks for joining and please when you decide what pattern that you are tying, please let me know. Thank you for joining.

Old Hat: I have seen the Blue bottle tied with and without a tail. There are two variations listed. The one in Trout has a tail and the on in Bergmans book "With Fly Plug & Bait does not have a tail.

Now the blue bottle that you mentioned that is hackled is not a Blue Bottle but is called the Blue Blow. I hope I have help to un-confuse you a bit.

Again, thanks to all that have joined so far. I am updating the very first post in this thread with the list of tyers.

Michael:

If you get into tying these flies for show then the Mustad 3399 is the most classic looking wet fly hook.

If you tying these flies to fish with, then I strongly suggest using the Mustad 3906.

I can not vouch for the other hooks and have been tying classic wet flies for show and fishing with the two hooks I mentioned above. I hope this helps. If you need a little more info on the two hooks I mentioned and why, please just ask.

So I have seen the Blue Bottle hackled with a throat and tail and also tied with a palmer, no tail. Also, I have seen the GRHE tied with a tail and without. Anyone mind helping me out, just trying to stay true to the Bergman's Trout variation for the swap. Man, I've got to get a copy of that book.

Old Hat:

Check out the third fly down at this link.

Jacktjl

http://globalflyfisher.com/patterns/bergman/

So I have seen the Blue Bottle hackled with a throat and tail and also tied with a palmer, no tail. Also, I have seen the GRHE tied with a tail and without. Anyone mind helping me out, just trying to stay true to the Bergman's Trout variation for the swap. Man, I've got to get a copy of that book.

Old Hat:

Check out the third fly down at this link.

Jacktjl

http://globalflyfisher.com/patterns/bergman/

Old Hat:

Amazon has a bunch of used copies.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/039...ref=ed_oe_p_olp

So, the first pic is a Blue Blow and the second a Blue Bottle, correct? But both are in Trout. Sorry to be a pain.

post-13329-1226278091_thumb.jpg

post-13329-1226277842_thumb.jpg

Isonychia / John, thanks for joining and welcome abaord, the swap is shaping up nicely.

Jacktjl, also welcome aboard and I look forward to seeing your work:

Old Hat, the first picture shown is really the Blue Blow and appears to be correct as to pattern. The second picture is the Blue Bottle. On the Blue Bottle the Silver tinsel used for the ribbing is optional. This fly is mostly tied without the ribbing. Either way is just fine and should be left to the tyer for the affect and appearance they want. Keep in mind that if you do go with ribbing the rule of thumb is just 5 turns of tinsel. If you are tying from a size 6 down to a size 10 then use a size 16/18 tinsel which will give the desired effect in appearance on the fly. Please don't feel that your being a pain asking questions. When I first started tying these flies, I was the same way. The differance for me was I did not know this web site existed so I had to go bother my mentor Don Bastian who patiently answered all my questions besides instructing me until I got things right. So please if any questions, please ask away. Some one on this site will always try to answer your question correctly. That's what I love about this site. Hope this helps. Lastly, Book will be placed in the mail in the afternoon Eastern time frame.

Fontinalis

Andy Brasko

You guys make me cry. Missing out on a fly tied my Andy and John!? I'd kill for those!! Still, I can't fit it in... unless I can somehow figure out how to get my tying station to work. I can see myself joining and then not putting the obsessiveness into the fly that I require of myself and be embarrassed by my entry.

I'm following this swap closely. Andy, please take pictures!

Jeff

I got a few PMs about this and had to jump in to see what was going on here. Unfortunately for me the timing is about as bad as it could be for me, between the shows, work, and orders this month I would not be able to commit the time I feel this would deserve. Once in to '09 I will start another one so I can participate since it looks like this will be a great swap. Make sure to post pics guys and keep your eyes out for another CWF swap in January ;)

catskilljohn / CJ welcome aboard and thanks for joining. I have added you to the list.

Linesides, thanks for joining and welcome aboard:

I have a running list of who is in the swap that can be found in the very first post of this thread. When the swap fills up or the dead line for sign up is reached, I will post my mailing address.

Hey Redwings1:

Please sure sure you post this swap towards the end of January. That way I can sign up to participate. Sorry you can not join this one, but I am quite sure there be a good one to join in January.

Andy