Fly Tying
Mad Scientist

Dubbing Box Survey

On the couple of dubbing boxes that I have, I use the holes. Most of my dubbing is in bags or still on the skin like muskrat, mole, and squirrel.

Regards,

Mark

On my boxes I use the lil hole, on bags I cut a small diagonal across one of the bottom corners and pull from there. do you guys open the ziplock bags? really?

I got in the habit of mashing a chunk of dub in the zipper part of the bag partially zipped and I use one of those big black paper binder clips to hold the bag to the edge of my bench. I can pull off little bits out of the zipper as it holds it. I have never tried cutting the corner, I was thinking I can then open the bag and shove the unused dub back in the bag, so it won't spill. Often I use very large bags of dubbing, several ounces sometimes.

Just a thought. Futzer.

I use the holes. It's easy to get small amounts of dubbing out with a pair of tweezers. I label the ends of the boxes and stack them in one corner of my desk. For my most used dubbing, I put them in those plastic coin tubes with a screw on cap. (the quarter size). I keep those within easy reach.

Holes and if the dubbing is in a bag, I poke a hole in it. :boxing:

It keeps things neat and tiddy and helps keep me from using too much dubbing! :scared:

I LUV HOLES!! :wub:

Oh ya, I also LUV THE MAD SCIENTIST!!! :yahoo: :yahoo:

I always use the holes, I think it offers a little better control, I like my dubbing to be sparse and the holes seem to help me achieve that as well as ctting down on the ammount I waste.

Steve B

I use the holes in boxes, make my own holes in boxes to make my own dubbing pack for travel kit and do pretty much what Futzer does with bags except I don't use the paper clip thing..... only because I'm typically not in a big high speed mode when I'm tying.. just chillin' with some live grateful dead and playing with dead animal parts. B) B)

to get the flow going through the holes, I find that the hook on my materelli whip finisher fits in the hole perfectly and gets just the right amount out to start.

-salty

I use the hole unless I'm blending colors. As others have suggested, I'd like some empty compartments.

I am interested in your input. Do you use a dubbing box? If so, do you use the holes in the bottom to get dubbing from the box or do you just open the lid and use the dubbing that way or both? Also, the reason why you do it the way you do?

Thanks & I appreciate your input.

Sincerely,

Mad Scientist

Fly Tyers Dungeon

For ten years i always pulled the dubbin from the small holes with synthetic dubbing for dries.But since i recieved my hares web antron mix from fly tyers dungeon,it doesn't pull out very easily of the holes,so i have been opening the bottom and getting it from there.I've tried picking it out of the holes with my bodkin but it still falls apart,and just comes out in small clumps,probably because of the hares web.but it doesn't bother me any,i love the hares web dubbin.

shane

Hi All;

I much prefer dubbing in bags, I can't seem to get what I want or maintain a proper blend using the dubbing boxes with holes.

It seems like every fly tying demo I've seen at a show, the fly tyer has the dubbing out of the box in a small clump/pile on the table. I find removing a bit of dubbing and putting it on my bench works best for me.

Wayneb

I use the holes when i have the dubbing in the box. I insert a recipe card on the lid side with the type of dubbing and color marked in blocks corresponding to the compartment in the box. I have some color blindness issues and this is the only way i can effectively use dubbing. I also have a couple packs in baggies, once i get enough loose baggies to fill half a box i will buy another box.