Fly Tying
breambuster

Spring Bluegill Swap

Got mine today. :yahoo: Great job everyone. As soon as turkey season is over I'll try them out. Great job hosting BB.

Flies arrived today WOW what a great bunch of flies.

Come to think of it I am starting to feel rather ill Friday all ready :unsure:

got mine today gang. a really great bunch of flies :)

thx's

Mike

Hey BB are you the one that tied the squirrel nymph with the bead head and rubber legs?

If so i love that pattern i took it out today and caught 30+ fish on it and it still is fishable. I was just wondering if you could tell me the materials list and somewhat how to tie it...

Hey, NJ All Day, that's the kind of report I LOVE to get! :yahoo: It's really a pretty simple fly to tie. But it may take me a bit to explain it. The hook is a 3906B Mustad, size 12. First, I put the bead on the hook, then to hold it in place, I took about 4 or 5 wraps of .15 lead substitute wire, bent down the ends really well, then pushed the little coil of wire wrapped around the hook inside the bead to hold it in place. The materials are mostly all from a red fox squirrel tail. The tail for the fly is made up of the darker guard hairs with the fluff removed. If you get some red guard hairs mixed in, so much the better. Then I tied in 2 strands of pearl krystal flash and held them back out of the way. The body is the fluff or under-fur from the red part (the lighther part) of the squirrel's tail. Look for places where there is lots of under-fur. Dub that onto your tying thread and dub the back part of the body. Next I tied in the sili-leg material (I am having trouble finding any more that is exactly that color; if anyone knows where to get it, let me know, please) the "Pumpkin" colored sili-legs is close, but a little darker. I tied in two strands, in the thorax area, one on the near side and one on the far side, and trimmed them to size. Next, I dubbed the thorax using the under-fur from the dark part of the squirrel's tail. You have to be sort of careful getting the different colored materials because there is dark fur close to the skin and lighter fur about 1/4 inch from the skin. So you have to trim it with that in mind. Dub the thorax with the darker fur. Then, palmer the Krystal flash up the hook shank to give a segmented look. You have to hold the rubber legs out of the way when you get to the thorax area. I usually just used the point of my scissors which I have learned to hold in my right hand the whole time that I'm tying. If you haven't looked that trick, it's well worth learning. Put one of the hoops on the scissors on your ring finger and catch the other hoop with your thumb when you need to cut something. Otherwise, free up your thumb and hold the scissors in your palm. It takes a little practice, but it will really come in handy. OK, Sorry, back to the fly. Once you've segmented the body and thorax with the Krystal flash, tie off, and go catch some more fish!

Hope this helps. If you have more questions, be sure to ask.

Take care

BB

Hey NJ All Day. Were you fishing in a lake, pond, or stream? Also, were the fish you caught any size? When I was growing up, if they were small, we would say that all we caught was "a pair of eyes!" I hope yours were larger than that!

Take care

BB

Hey NJ All Day. Were you fishing in a lake, pond, or stream? Also, were the fish you caught any size? When I was growing up, if they were small, we would say that all we caught was "a pair of eyes!" I hope yours were larger than that!

Take care

BB

This is the water that i fish. Its a pond above with some killer bass, blue gill, carp, and crappie. Then a damn, and then runs about a 5 mile stretch, bellow the damn there are smaller bass, the carp are huge and the crappie and gill's are big. I was catching huge fish and smaller fish.

post-18545-1273368691_thumb.jpg

post-18545-1273368720_thumb.jpg

post-18545-1273368704_thumb.jpg

Here in New Jersey we had some pretty bad winds all day today. Gust up to 40 M.P.H. And there is no coverage below the damn and above the damn so i was getting the brute of it. But i manage to catch a 10" 'gill above the damn, and below the damn i managed about 10 gills ranging from 6-9" and 3 crappie all over 10", and one bass that was 18 inches. I had one major carp probably 9 plus pounds come to the fly about to eat it and then the wind blew and scared him away!!!! I was so angry!!! But i got sick of the wind and decided to go down the river to a place that holds some nice fish and is covered by trees so i could get away from the wind. And caught about 20 fish all from about 2"- 9". It was a great day out. And Your nymph was the first fly i put on and was the only fly i put on.

I got my flies on Friday. Great flies everyone!

Floyd, I'd love to see a tutorial on how you tied that spinner's tail.

BB, thanks for having me, great swap as always! :headbang:

-PK

hey i got my flies in the day before yesterday... cant wait to fish them! they all look so great :D

What a cool bunch of flies I got today!

I don't fly fish as much as I would like to, due to health reasons, but looking forward to the next trip I do go on to try all these wonderful flies!

Blessings,

Jeremy