Fly Tying
petelangevin

what bobbin do you use?

type of bobbin  

508 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I purchased a fellow's Gerstner chest a few years ago. It was really beat up, but the price was right. When the chest arrived it was chocked full of fly tying material and tools. I sent a letter to him asking if he wanted some more $$$ and he wrote back that he was giving up tying so he filled up the chest with as much as would fit hoping I would use it. There were two Price vises, a Hunter(HMH)vise, a Thompson vise and several bobbins, scissors, hair packers and stackers, whip finishers (Materellis for sure and what look like Petijeans)....There are things I still haven't identified.

P3040401.jpg

A month or so later, a package arrived with more materials! It was fun detective work identifying the odds pieces of fur and such.

I've given away all of the vises and some of the tools. And I plan to give away most of the remaining tools and materials I won't use, but I sure have a lot of bobbins now!

The guy was really into tying tools and he was most generous to give them and his materials to me. I only bought his chest and he wouldn't accept my offer of more money. I guess he sensed I would find a good home for his collection and I have donated the bulk of the stash.

I did keep the really nice stuff like seal dubbing, polar bear, jungle cock etc. I'm no saint.

Bobbins:

Materelli (I bought two and have at least half a dozen now after giving away at least that many)

Dr. Slick (I bought this)

Norvise w/ several spools (I have yet to use this)

C&F (very very nice)

Rite (my fav along with the C&F, I bought a couple more I like it so much)

Ekich (I bought this one too, but haven't used it enough

Its amazing what you can stumble across. I posted a want on a free recycling site here in UK and a guy gave me a 3 tier tackle box full of salmon tying stuff, some of it was a bit antique but some gems amongst it.

I'm currently using Matarelli for threads, a magnum ceramic (might be Dr.Slick) for flosses and cheapy ones for wires/tinsels. The tackle tart in me likes the C&F ones but can't justify 'needing' one yet.

I use Stonfo bobbins, 2 x adjustable drag bobbins and others are standard type. I have a griffin bobbin that came with my vise that I use for lead wire.

I have four standard size Rite bobbins and one Cermag. I love them! I also have a handful of Tiemco bobbins laying around.

Picked up an Ekich and like it so much that I changed my vote. I still really like the Rite bobbin but have gotten spoiled and now I'm used to automatic rewind. In fact, the Ekich fits in the hand rather like the Rite bobbin does. Won't be buying a lot of them though!

I progressed from the cheap knock offs to a standard Tiemco. They did me for a few years until I bought a standard size Rite. It was good but I found it an awkward size. Then the mini ones came out and I was a convert. Loved them until Marc Petitjean spoiled them for me! He taught me the split thread techniques I use a lot now. The mini Rite bobbins do not spin well. If the plastic spigot and adjustment mechanism was made from brass it would balance out the single leg. Maybe that's a design I should look more at. Thats when I went back to the Tiemco.. I still use them although I now remove the rubber tube and replace with a "bullet" of hot melt glue. At that time Marc also used the Tiemco ones.

Recently Marc has threatened to send me one of his new bobbins. I'm terrified I might like it. They are far from cheap and if I like it I be wanting a lot of them.

One bobbin that has been with me for many years is one of the original Matterlli mini bobbin holders. This one I use exclusively for Pearsall's silks. The tube is very high grade medical stainless, which is hard enough not to be grooved by the thread.

As a diversion I often think of ways I would like to improve my tying tools. Unfortunately I don't have the facilities to make the designs I come up with. I would like a bobbin that holds the thread spool vertical to the hook shank (ie at 90 degrees to the standard bobbin). I also have a tensioning mechanism for this bobbin in mind. One day I may get the opportunity to make some.

Cheers,

C

i got the Montanan Mongoose vice and it came with the ceramic griffin bobbin, best one I've ever used.

As a diversion I often think of ways I would like to improve my tying tools. Unfortunately I don't have the facilities to make the designs I come up with. I would like a bobbin that holds the thread spool vertical to the hook shank (ie at 90 degrees to the standard bobbin). I also have a tensioning mechanism for this bobbin in mind. One day I may get the opportunity to make some.

Cheers,

C

Griffin made such a bobbin in the 90s. It could manage standard spools as well as the long spools, such as those used by Gudebrod when their tying threads appeared on the market. It was called a "Multi-Thread Bobbin." I still haven't located the unused one I had; it and a large Edgin stacker are the two tools that have left me befuddled with their whereabouts.

I have a Nor-vise bobbin I like to use. The best part is putting the thread on the thread holder to get the thread and bobbin holder out of the way when winding on material. Use it even when not using the rotary function of the vise. Not having to wind up excess thread is really nice.

Like everyone else I have many bobbins. The two that I use 90% of the time are Umpqua Ergonomic Bobbins.

$20 ea, thats why I only have two. Dave