Fly Tying
iFly

Fish Pictures

That is a pretty Peacock Bass, Bimini. Goofy looking, with that breeding bump or whatever it is, but beautiful colors.

It was on the fly from the August flies thread, minus the collar. You were right! :)

Hey Mike any chance you can get a still frame of the second fish in Mondays trip video. It had markings similar to the vertical pigmentation of a smallmouth. This really is interesting to me and quite perplexing. Haha fishes are my interest, and I love testing my knowledge of them and about them.

The first two fish in Thirsdays video certainly look like smallmouth to me, or a similarly colored cousin. They certainly weren't spots or largemouths. This is cool. There's such a variety in that river!

I was catching mayans one after another when this little guy decided to bite. Pics a little blurry, but it was a cute little guy.

post-59266-0-66448700-1470525996_thumb.jpg

Bimini, I need to meet up with you or flats to put me on some peacocks. Good looking fish. I've been internet scouting and Google mapping as to where to go. Haven't decided when yet.

I am no expert. I have caught three in total and I only really know of ONE place where they live around here. I am in Palm Beach County.

You would probably improve your chances further south. Miami's Blue Lagoon comes up often when I search for peacock fishing. Watch the youtube videos to get an idea.

Caloosa, I've actually only caught 1 in my whole life. But that doesn't mean I don't see any 3 days ago I saw one that was 9lbs. Plus by catch include bluegill Mayan cichlid Oscars largemouth and on. If you brought your boat then I know for a fact there are big and a lot of peas in the airport lakes. There is a launch somewhere but that might be one of your safest bets. Of course, literally any canal they ard there, but the airport lakes are pretty big, accessible, and fishy. Lemme know if you were serious about fishing, that would be a lotta fun!

Thanks guys. Bimini I forgot your in Palm Beach county. I used to bank fish lake osborne and the lake worth spillway pretty regularly about 12 years ago. I assume more peacocks would reside in lake Ida.?

I've read a bunch on the airport lakes in Miami, definitely a hot spot. I'm more looking to go canal bank exploring first rather than towing the boat through Miami traffic. Like the backwater fly guy on this forum.

One day..we'll see.

My two largest bass from today's trip.

A photo of my first fish of the morning ...

And a screen shot from the video. This fish was actually a bit bigger, but the picture isn't as good.

Here's the screen shot you requested, Fisher. You might get better detail if you pause the video, in full screen mode.

You got better than I could get with the video haha. Those three look like largies. Let me know if you catch any more if the jaw goes past the eye when the mouth is closed it's the easiest way to tell.

Caloosa,

I would imagine Lake Osborne also has them, like the whole Lake Ida chain should. But I have never fished in there. Chime if you find yourself this way some day, just know that you may be the expert of the two.

Yesterday was a 7 hour trip, so I ended with about 14 minutes of video. I am trying to get better pictures ... but what you noticed about the pictures, Fisher, has me thinking. These might ALL be Large Mouth Bass ... just different coloration from different depths or hiding spots.

The ones that hang out in the open are lighter colored with less pronounced spots and bars ... the ones that prefer shaded areas are the ones with the most striking spots and bars. Maybe? As much as I like fishing, I am NO fish identification expert. I just catch 'em.

post-34261-0-69860800-1470729285_thumb.jpg

This is an interesting fish caught in a creek, tributary to the Amur River: it is dwarf male of cherry salmon. Cherry salmon is ancestor of other 5 species of Pacific salmon.