Fly Tying
rolsen

JANUARY flies

Ahh Piker20 the great false beard or collar hackle debate, depends on where you fish them i guess, full collars for faster water and bigger flies, around the size 8's i like the false beard. Anyone else have an opinion on this?

I think where you are using a soft feather it is going to sweep back and be no more bulky than the arctic fox you are using. On smaller flies id agree the collar hackle might be too bulky and hold the wing too high.

tried to copy a streamer I saw at Orvis. Then tried to apply the same techniques to the clouser which I love tying and fishing here in Missouri.

post-44540-0-63807100-1358052142_thumb.jpg

Ahh Piker20 the great false beard or collar hackle debate, depends on where you fish them i guess, full collars for faster water and bigger flies, around the size 8's i like the false beard. Anyone else have an opinion on this?

I think where you are using a soft feather it is going to sweep back and be no more bulky than the arctic fox you are using. On smaller flies id agree the collar hackle might be too bulky and hold the wing too high.

False hackle usually looks purely awesome and it has its uses, esp. in smaller wets. Instead of fox, a very sparse bunch of white tipped squirrel can be used, it supports the "weak" mallard very nicely. And, when tied sparse, it ain't even visible.

One from yesterday - Kiffe

Didn't have any yellow mallard, so used teal instead. Have to say that using duck quills is million times easier than these feathers :(

post-46140-0-80189300-1358069820_thumb.jpg

When you use Photobcket don't use the link with the "img" tags but the "Direct Link". Above on the tool bars you'll find a "Image" tool on the bottom row (between the "Link" tools and the "Code tools <>". Click that and paste the direct link in there.

Cheers,

C.

Thanks for the info Piker20 and rolsen. Interesting, seen a few patterns around using both techniques, in particular the variations of the blue charm i have seen it done either way usually the 8's and 10's done falsely.

A pattern that uses arctic fox under the tented mallard or goose slips is the 'Michelle' i believe a Le Blanc pattern? And may have been where i got the idea.

One other idea i have been messing with and saw on a Davie Mcphail video is double tented wings, these seem a lot more solid.

One other idea i have been messing with and saw on a Davie Mcphail video is double tented wings, these seem a lot more solid.

I use double mallard on Furnace Brown salmon fly, they give nice support to the fly.

Yeah Jam I would want to use my fox in a more prominent place and not loose it under the wings. I like it under hair wings but more solid wings just hides it too much IMO.

Great looking nymphs Doru_Sibiu

Love the flys to the far right with the hot spot behind the beads. They look great!!