Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Losthackle

First fly & fish

What was the first fish you caught using a fly you tied and what was the fly? Where & when would be nice

Mine was a scrappy just-legal rainbow taken from Moffatt Falls in New England Australia on a brown nymph tied using wool and cotton! Somewhere in the 1980s!

Mine was when I was a Cub Scout and did it to earn a merit badge, tho I'd been fishing before I can remember anyway. I can only guess it was some kind of ugly wet fly but I know it caught bluegills down at the local "horsepond". That would have been about sometime in the mid '50s. And you wonder why I can't remember the exact fly? unsure.png

What was the first fish you caught using a fly you tied and what was the fly?

the first 'fish' was actually a tree and what the fly was is too far back to even remember. it didnt really matter that much

Hi Losthackle,

Al's first fish: Crappie from Mill Creek State Park, Iowa on a red bucktail streamer in the late 50s.

Gretchen's first fish: A small rainbow from Lick Creek, Idaho on a Royal Coachman wet in the late 50s.

Take care & ...

My first fish was a coelacanth caught on a wooly mammoth streamer. Hook was a 1/0 saber tooth tiger rib carved to shape. I think it was some where around 100,000 b.c.

Damn I'm old.

Seriously, I tried and tried. I can't remember. Wow. I'm only 51 too. LOL

not sure whether mine would be a white bass on a bucktail streamer or a smallmouth on a dubbed body minnow pattern i madeup, either way it was just this spring

Don't worry SILKHDH, as time goes on you'll begin to remember things like that but forget what you had for breakfast. At 51 you're still just a pup.

The first fly I tied and used was this one:

pacific-king-1_zps4d2103ad.jpg

pacific-kings-1_zpsf40c66b8.jpg

The Pacific King

book-first-fly-tied-5_zpsae1ac75f.jpg

From Roy Patrick's Pacific Northwest Fly Patterns

...used in here, on Lone Pine Creek, CA where my two kids are standing...in 1975...caught some nice Rainbows and Browns in this little creek...

malonepinecreek_zps1bd84acc.jpg

PT/TB biggrin.png

Great question,

Even though it was a couple too many years ago, I remember it perfectly. I had been stealing/useing my brothers tying kit that he received for a christmas gift. Now in my defense, he never use it once. A friend showed me how to tie a blue damsel fly. I caught a nice fat brook trout from Cold Stream in Parlin Pond Township Maine.

Michael

Mine was a smallmouth bass from the Huron River in Ann Arbor, MI in August 1997 on either a purple woolly bugger or a black bunny leech. Just a week or so later I caught a beautiful little 8" brown on an Adams dry fly and I'd like to claim that as my first as the whole thing has a more "classic Michigan fly fishing" aura, but truth wins: it was smallies that taught me to fly fish.

Wow, this is a timely blog, just tied my first set of flies in my first class last week. A black wooly bugger with a body made from black dubbing with purple sparkle in it. Used it in a stream a few days later and caught a few decent rainbow and one nice brown. Sealed the deal for me, ordered all my own tying tools and supplies the next day

Mine was a decent rainbow on a royal Wulff. Go big or go home for your first fly i say! It was was caught on the beautiful Gallatin river in Bozeman, MT. Oh how I miss college.

Mine was a toothy thing in chile on an attempt at a Mrs Simpson but honestly the 'fly' looked more like it belonged on a hat.