Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
green

making a fly box

Ok so I need a large box to hold my bass and pike streamers but I don't think I want tho spend 40-50 dollars on a box with foam in it. Has anyone one on here ever made their own? If you have could you tell me what ill need and the steps for making it.

Plano box from Walmart. I've gotten away from regular fly boxes for larger flies. I find it easier to keep them in worm boxes from Plano. You can get a six compartment box that is about the same size as a large fly box and will hold a lot of large flies.

I keep all my bigger pike and bass streamers in a couple of these...

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Eagle-Claw-TroKar-Elite-Hook-Case/1546148.uts

The Trokar sticker comes right off, and its slotted foam for easy storage of big flies. The boxes are thin enough I can put 2 in my MountainSmith lumbar pack when pike fishing + other gear. Holds a lot of flies and @ $14.99 cheaper than buying a box and trying to make one for the most part.

Allen fly fishing had their briefcase boxes on sale a couple of days ago for $16.99 - free shipping also. I have a couple of these and they work well for saltwater flies or other big flies.

Flytire ... You put up some great information sites for people, which is very helpful. Then, you keep telling people to "Be Creative. Experiment."

I don't mean to insult anybody, but working with a new batch of students every week to three week period, I can tell you, a lot of people CAN'T be creative.

My own creativity is not all that powerful. I can take anything apart, and tell you, usually within a few minutes, exactly how it works. I can reverse engineer just about anything ... and break it down to teach it in a class of dealership technicians. But to invent something? To even come up with a way to make it better? That takes an imagination I just don't have. I grew up with science fiction novels ... and fully expected to be flying to work, to be watching events unfold on Mars City/States. But I don't have the creativity to help us get there.

Most people who ask for help with designs, materials or complete systems are in my boat. We know what we want ... we just don't have the imagination, the creativity to come up with the "How" of what we want.

I make my own boxes as well out but never knew of those photo boxes. I just use a Dremel to grind or melt out the tray divider from the tackle tote clear boxes I use.

If anyone wants to paint them, automotive spray paint and automotive primer will stick really well and won't chip. The plastic doesn't hold up well if it isn't primed first.

I made the one Flytire posted with the photo case a while back and it's easy to do and works great. The entire thing cost about $3. Mike, I think you are really over complicating the "get imaginative" part. In this case, it basically comes down to find a box in the size you like, glue some foam in it. Another good idea is to glue some foam on the outside of the box to dry out your used flies before putting them back in the box. A while back, Panama Red sent a bunch of us in a swap a fly box made from a cigar box. I think he just wanted to get rid of some of his empties but it was pretty awesome

these are all great! just a question, has anyone ever tried making one that is at least water resistant? I like the ones with rubber gaskets around the outside, but I was wondering if anyone had a way to make one with this?

matt