Fly Tying
oldtrout58

Law Vise Available!

Geez, and I thought I paid too much for a barracuda... On the other hand if people will pay, I say good for him.

YO JS.....

If I had a nickel for every time I was wrong, I'd be broke. LOL.. Just kidding. Really, just kidding.

A top end rod here is approaching £1000, I am informed, by top casters and rod designers, that, under heavy use, these rods will not last more than 5 years before materials break down and compromise the action. I've tied on my LAW for almost 10 years, probably over 100 000 flies in that time. I think that qualifies as heavy use. I am approaching twice the expected life of a top end rod with no signs of the vice giving up. That would indicate that, even at today's price, it is reasonable value as a working tool. Better value than a top end rod.

I wouldn't sell mine now, even for £2K. What would I replace it with? In the past I have owned two DynaKings and a Petitjean. The DynaKings both went through midge jaws within a year. The Petitjean was showing signs of wear within 9 months. There may be a model of vice out there that would give similar long term performance, I doubt that any will offer me better. Why would I change?

Cheers,

C.

Just curious, does a high end vice make you that much better of a tier? I mean I can't see where it would, you still have to do all of the work yourself. The vice just holds the hook, how bad off am I?

how many vises have been produced in total?

SILKHDH has made one of these, and could provide how much time actually goes into the making of a vise like this. as a toolmaker; i can tell you TONS. i think i would be hard pressed to make one in a 40hr work week. this is one man (i believe) setting up and tearing down a number of setups, for different operations. the smaller the lot size, the higher the individual cost price. the question whether these were all done by hand and not cnc remains unanswered. the life of the jaws points to a prefect storm of material selection, machining and heat processing. all the fore mentioned details equal a quality product, that would last for damn near forever, and rightfully come with a high dollar cost. when you add desire and rarity, then the skies the limits. i think that the buyers/owners of these vises are getting what they pay for.

the biggest failing would be thinking that $$$$ spent on a vise equals better tying skills.

For the "Law" vise market, equilibrium pricing maybe $3342.00 US. Price where quantity supplied is equal to quantity demanded, correct number of inputs/for output, costs = price. We may not "like" the price but, all those willing/able are getting vises, supply is not restricted, market is efficient. Free market economy at it best, which can suck sometimes.

I figure if someone wants to spend $3200 on a vise more power to them. Capitalism is not perfect but it sure beats any other types of economies out here in my opinion.

I don't care what a Ferrarri costs or anything else that is very expensive. What does it matter if a LAW is $2K, $3K, or even $4K? What does the price of anything matter that you are NOT going to buy or is not linked to anything you are going to buy?

In economic theory, the price of gasoline going up 1/10 of 1 cent affects you more than the price of a LAW vise. That 1/10 of 1 cent actually affects you and everyone else by increasing not only the cost of operating a car but also the cost of any material that needs to be transported or uses fuel in its production.

The price of a LAW will be determined by demand regardless of what the set price is. If it is too high they won't sell.

I don't care what a Ferrarri costs or anything else that is very expensive. What does it matter if a LAW is $2K, $3K, or even $4K? What does the price of anything matter that you are NOT going to buy or is not linked to anything you are going to buy?

In economic theory, the price of gasoline going up 1/10 of 1 cent affects you more than the price of a LAW vise. That 1/10 of 1 cent actually affects you and everyone else by increasing not only the cost of operating a car but also the cost of any material that needs to be transported or uses fuel in its production.

The price of a LAW will be determined by demand regardless of what the set price is. If it is too high they won't sell.

Touché! I couldn't have said it any better Henry! Smart fellow...I guess you paid attention to your other classes other than Chemistry. Supply and Demand will always dictated who will pay what for something and you are correct about the gasoline analogy. I never thought about that from that perspective. I know I won't be buy the vise, I'll just stick with my $149 HMH vise. However it is a wonderful looking vise from what I seen in the picture. I assume since it is handmade and that is the reason for the cost? I am just asking out of ignorance...

lots of retired machinists here in the upper midwest.sure they could throw something together,they build race engines for a few bucks more than that vice

Cannon,

NO there is NO vise made now, or ever has been made that will make you a better tier. You may have an easier time of tying with a better vise, which will encourage you to tie more. Tying more CAN lead to better tying. Through the years, I have purchase, sold, or traded off about a dozen different vises. I could tie just fine on almost all of them. I worked in 2 different fly shops and was able to tie on 2 or 3 times that many. I would try stuff, from our cheapest imports, to all the high priced ones. When I ran across something I thought was better, I would buy it, I guess that makes me a gear junky. I have about $1400 tied up in vises at present, the majority of that is in my Nor-vise, Dyna-King Sidewinder, and extra jaws.

I didn't become "better" by simply buying a better vise. I got better by tying more. After 50 years or so, I am still learning. I can tie with any vise, and I occasionally tie "in hand". Everyone tied in hand up until about 180 years ago. There are still plenty of very accomplished tiers who regularly tie all their flies in hand.

My conclusion: a vise makes tying easier, a good vise (one that holds hooks well,) will make tying easier still. but even the "BEST" vise (and there is NO perfect vise,) will only make tying just a tiny bit easier. The really expensive vises "should" last a lifetime, and many of them will. For a production tier, who ties 10,000 flies a year, a vise that lasts 10 or 20 years and is still going strong was a good investment. It isn't the vise, but the tying, tying, and more tying that makes one a better tier. Good instruction will be money better spent than doubling down on a 500 dollar vise rather than a 100 to 200 dollar vise.

Cannon,

NO there is NO vise made now, or ever has been made that will make you a better tier. You may have an easier time of tying with a better vise, which will encourage you to tie more. Tying more CAN lead to better tying. Through the years, I have purchase, sold, or traded off about a dozen different vises. I could tie just fine on almost all of them. I worked in 2 different fly shops and was able to tie on 2 or 3 times that many. I would try stuff, from our cheapest imports, to all the high priced ones. When I ran across something I thought was better, I would buy it, I guess that makes me a gear junky. I have about $1400 tied up in vises at present, the majority of that is in my Nor-vise, Dyna-King Sidewinder, and extra jaws.

I didn't become "better" by simply buying a better vise. I got better by tying more. After 50 years or so, I am still learning. I can tie with any vise, and I occasionally tie "in hand". Everyone tied in hand up until about 180 years ago. There are still plenty of very accomplished tiers who regularly tie all their flies in hand.

My conclusion: a vise makes tying easier, a good vise (one that holds hooks well,) will make tying easier still. but even the "BEST" vise (and there is NO perfect vise,) will only make tying just a tiny bit easier. The really expensive vises "should" last a lifetime, and many of them will. For a production tier, who ties 10,000 flies a year, a vise that lasts 10 or 20 years and is still going strong was a good investment. It isn't the vise, but the tying, tying, and more tying that makes one a better tier. Good instruction will be money better spent than doubling down on a 500 dollar vise rather than a 100 to 200 dollar vise.

Well said!!!!