Fly Tying
C LeBo

Deer Antler Vise

That is great. Even if you didn't use it as a regular vise it is a great conservation piece and if you're ever to tie at a demo bench somewhere that would be the his of the tying tables.

Everybody,

I dearly appreciate your sentiments and comments concerning my rather novel creation, and I will do my utmost best in trying to answer and respond to your questions and suggestions. So, here goes:

Jacktjl and others, in regards to the jaw mechanism, I chose a ridiculously simple assembly in the belief that complication encourages frustration; and by simple I mean a bolt, a washer, and an improvised wingnut. I cut the "hook slot" by means of a bandsaw, and the pictures included bear testimony to my sloppy execution of the cut.

Bugsy, you are quite correct, for that is where I purloined the idea from, with a few modifications of course.

Mikechell, I was considering stainless steel inserts, but, considering it's disposition as a showpiece, I decided against that much committment, not knowing the outcome of it. However, if I did wish to make more for the purpose of selling them, then I would certainly take such measures.

Piker20, for the box, I was thinking of a pine construction with deer antler inlay. Now THAT will be an interesting project.

Thank You and Tight Lines,

Carson LeBoeuf

post-43009-0-13882700-1416539884_thumb.jpg

post-43009-0-16903300-1416539893_thumb.jpg

...but it's not a rotary....

I love it! It would be a great conversation piece at a fly tying get together. No one would care what your flies looked like, they'd be too busy looking at the vise.

...but it's not a rotary....

Then that shall be my next goal!laugh.png

Fisherboy, my previous statement included some photos, and, as you can see, the gap between the jaws is quite minimal; ergo, I believe stress fractures to be of trifling concern.

Thanks for the additional info. My shop has a set of antlers, some nuts and bolts and saws. I am inspired and going for the gusto!

I believe Sheridan Anderson described an antler vise like this in his Curtis Creek Manifesto.

That's the first thing I thought of. This is first time I've seen anybody actually make one. Nice job.

Now I know what I'm gonna do with my next set of antlers.

That's got to be the coolest vise I've ever seen.

Perfect piece for a fishing cabin.