Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
MuskyFlyGuy

My fly bench is lonely

Mine looked just like that. 2 years ago when I moved everything from the shed to the house.

It's a beautiful work station, but I deduce you aren't showing us everything... If you have that much thread, you must have tons of feathers and other stuff stored in tubs, or on another shelf somewhere. How neat is the rest of the stuff?

Very nice work station, someday I will have one like this, and my wife will be happy it's not strewn all over the coffee table.

Did you make that shelving unit yourself?

Please take another picture with the doors open ... I really like that assembly.

Mike,

I did not make the desk. It was made by Bob Wagner from River Wood Designs in Minnesota. Here is the picture you requested.

post-35105-0-85790700-1458946896_thumb.jpg

FlaFly,

After I got it, I found I needed more space so I had Bob build this cabinet. Drawer one is for feathers, drawer two is for bucktail, and drawer three is for flashabou.

post-35105-0-41162500-1458947108_thumb.jpg

post-35105-0-12566400-1458947203_thumb.jpg

There is no way all that stuff can be lonely!

If it was mine there would be drool all over it!

That's quite a strange subject for a fly tier to post on this forum.................need something to tie?

Perhaps I missed something, for it sounds like you have lost your inspiration and interest in this wonderful art form, hobby, pastime, whatever you want to call it, that so many of us enjoy.

Cabin fever perhaps? Fly boxes all full? Any new kids in the neighbourhood or a grandson/daughter who would love to learn to tie flies?

Yes there are many times when I just take a break from the vice to do other things, for we all need to do that, but winter is prime time to sit at the vice and that nice work desk you have shown needs to look as if something's going on.

Once we have open water here in Ontario, it's self explanatory where you'll find me spending much of my time and it won't be at the vice.

For me personally, there certainly is more to tying than for fly pattern swaps. If I'm not tying a particular pattern, I hone my skills on something new that I have never tied before just to see if I can do it, or work on improving some of those patterns that were rejected by fish last summer.

No being critical by any means, just trying to inspire you.