Fly Tying
deerhairdan

YouTube Tutorials

Just a thought here.....possibly a rant....

How many tutorials does the world need of basic fly patterns? It seems as if every time I log-in to see what is new on youtube...and see what youtube "recommends" I watch....its the same thing over and over again. There are at least 3 dozen wooly bugger and clouser minnow tutorials online as I type this. Is it just me, or does this seem kind of ridiculous and redundant? Its quite obvious some folks are doing it to get attention.....at least get creative and tie your own pattern...or something that isnt EVERYWHERE on the internet already.

Rant over. Hate me.

Yeah, I get you there. I do however, like to see different people tie certain patterns, as they may say something or do something slightly different than another person. There are lots of ways to tie the same fly, and I enjoy seeing different people tie them in their own way. And some people I just enjoy watching tie, and find their commentary relaxing, or just enjoy their channel and like to watch what they put out. Shoot sometimes people just use different combinations of color that I havent though of with a fly. At the end of the day, I just like watching tying videos I think.

You tube has almost become worthless it seams like the same patterns over and over.. one other thing that gets me is when the do not list the material the use !!

Steve-stabgnid

What's with the negativity? It's like TV. I have 7,346 channels but watch 5 or Netflix. As for Buggers, I used to tie them back to front like I was taught until I saw a video of tying hackle in front, winding to back, then winding the wire around hackle and forward to lock in place. If no one did Bugger vids I'd still be wasting half my time.

There are video regulars I really like but one I have to turn off right after I open it is the guy with the beard who has the camera shining right into his mouth with the fly in between. I could never do a video. I have a hard enough time getting a decent still life of a fly, though finally buying a small adjustable tripod has helped that enormously. I give Kudus to all those who take the time to set up and then edit and run videos for our education and edification. (I know...redundant but I just like that word)

What's with the negativity? It's like TV. I have 7,346 channels but watch 5 or Netflix. As for Buggers, I used to tie them back to front like I was taught until I saw a video of tying hackle in front, winding to back, then winding the wire around hackle and forward to lock in place. If no one did Bugger vids I'd still be wasting half my time.

There are video regulars I really like but one I have to turn off right after I open it is the guy with the beard who has the camera shining right into his mouth with the fly in between. I could never do a video. I have a hard enough time getting a decent still life of a fly, though finally buying a small adjustable tripod has helped that enormously. I give Kudus to all those who take the time to set up and then edit and run videos for our education and edification. (I know...redundant but I just like that word)

My first like 10 videos were that way. I haven't showed my beard in the last 40... Just FYI. :)

Yep! To much of one thing & not enough of another! Only a few Wallywing videos, but more surfcandy videos then waves in the ocean! But i think there is to much of the same s#!t & not enough of that way out there stuff i want to see!

i dont mind the beard in the 'in the riffle' videos. i just dont bother with the 'other' beard

my favorites are hans weilenmann, davie mcphail, hackle and wings, in the riffle, reuben martin, mak flies ......their videos actually teach you something

i dont mind the beard in the 'in the riffle' videos. i just dont bother with the 'other' beard

my favorites are hans weilenmann, davie mcphail, hackle and wings, in the riffle, reuben martin, mak flies ......their videos actually teach you something

Haters gonna hate. Its alright. Cant please everyone all the time.

Some would argue that the ones that you say "teach" you something are way too long (most push over 10 minutes), while others like the length and detail. Then there are some that love the fact that some people make 4-5 minute video's but cut out some of the "teaching". There is a wide range of video's on the same fly because they are popular flies and different ways/techniques in tying them. Everyone ties a bugger, so when people make video's they seem to tie up a bugger on video.

Many people (including myself) have some of their original flies they tie as well for their channel. Still gotta put up the popular ones though (buggers, clousers, deceivers, zebra midges, exc....) along with your "original" flies ya know? While those video's might not teach a "seasoned" tier like yourself, they would help teach someone that is new into the tying and might want a high quality video without having to sit through 10 minutes of explaining the fly, and only 2-3 minutes of tying.

What Im trying to say is there is something for everyone. Something you might hate, or think is useless might be something that someone else might love, and think is the most helpful. One mans trash is another ones treasure. I myself love watching Davie McPhail, In the Riffle, and Tightlines. They each are so vastly different in the way they make video's. Some simply talk at the video and tie (reminds me of Bob Ross painting) which is calming and lots of detail, but does take a bit longer without any jump cuts, fast forwards exc... While others make videos that are quick, refined, but with less detail and background of the fly. Its all about preference.

I searched for a Rusty rat video, guess what I found ? A Rusty Rat video, actually a few. I searched Davie McPhail wet fly videos. A page came up with wet fly videos, I clicked on the ones that said "Davie McPhail". And then I clicked on a couple of other guys I like and just skipped the ones I didn't want to see. I didn't find it all that difficult to do or irritating but then I wasn't drinking beer either. I don't think alcohol helps anyone make sense of much of anything, so I don't drink the stuff personally.

Just a thought here.....possibly a rant....

There are at least 3 dozen wooly bugger and clouser minnow tutorials online as I type this

yep, and probably 35 of them wrong.