Fly Tying
xterrabill

Show your bench

7 hours ago, DFoster said:

Tidewater the prints are from the old book Blacker's Art of Fly Making.  Available free on line here: https://www.gutenberg.org/files/35752/35752-h/35752-h.htm

I simply saved the images and printed them on the office lazer printer on some good quality paper.  I got the frames on sale at Michael's for $15.  I love old style book illustrations in general.  Here's an example of two of them.

i_034-big.thumb.jpg.750b068f3c6e71787dbae28c1c8fb404.jpg

i_027-big.thumb.jpg.8060d5764d4729181bff3c4314412a71.jpg

That's awesome! Thanks for the link & information! 

Some of my favorite old books have illustrations like that. One such book I've had since I was a kid, and the fly plates in that book were always an inspiration to me and learning to tie. It's a shame in my opinion that we don't see these types of art work in books now. 

Most of the prints that I've collected are also inexpensive reproductions.  I'm not planning on putting them in expensive frames either. 

Tidewaterfly 

If you like the Blacker fly plates I think that you will like the George Kelson plates from the Salmon Fly 

9 hours ago, James said:

Tidewaterfly 

If you like the Blacker fly plates I think that you will like the George Kelson plates from the Salmon Fly 

You are correct, beautiful plates!  The book is available here for free as well.

https://archive.org/details/salmonflyhowtodr00kelsrich/page/32/mode/2up

My well used happy place,

Don't know how this pic will look, worth a try to see, 3/4 of dresser full with tying materials.

well used happy place.jpg

1 hour ago, xterrabill said:

My well used happy place,

Don't know how this pic will look, worth a try to see, 3/4 of dresser full with tying materials.

well used happy place.jpg

Nice! That looks like my kind of tying space! I will try to get a picture up of my shared tying/recording space. What kind of Music do you play? 

2 minutes ago, Pbass said:

Nice! That looks like my kind of tying space! I will try to get a picture up of my shared tying/recording space. What kind of Music do you play? 

What makes you think he plays music?😁

1 hour ago, xterrabill said:

https://www.kompoz.com/music/artist/xterrabill

click on the showcase tracks, its a great site when you get to know some of the folks.

How about yourself, what kind of music do you prefer?

Cool site! I really need to start working with someone on line like that! that looks fun and your stuff sounds GREAT! I Dig it! Are you guys just file sharing to collaborate? 

I grew up playing heavy music through the late 80 and 90s. Now days I still write some heavy stuff but really prefer to listen to jazz. Here is a clip of the middle of a song I am working on right now. It is on the heavy side. I really would like to work on some R&B or Jazz tunes with someone.  I am playing Guitar and Bass in this but really consider myself a Bass player. The picture is of my son on a mountain where we live.

You can see by the picture in the video that we have an amazing area for fly fishing. Lots of lakes, streams, rivers and creeks. 

I guess as a new guy I should ask Did I do anything inappropriate by posting that video link on this forum? If so I am sorry and will remove it. Didn't mean to take any of this in the wrong direction. FYI this is the first forum I have ever been on so I am not sure how it all works.

Nope, Pb ... nothing wrong at all.  When you finish that piece of music, there's a "Song of the Day" thread in "The Lodge" forum you can post it in.  Sounds good, as long as you don't ruin it with lyrics.

yes we file share, there are some good players there but they can be a little hard to find/get, its give and take, the more you help others, the more they will help you, once you get established/known it is still hit or miss, not every song ends up good, you have to be picky with the contributors/ideas/auditions but not burn bridges.

I have worked with folks all over the world, even a grammy winner, no BS, bring your A game and you will be rewarded with some great players and have some of your tunes sound better then you could imagine if you have an open mind to the songs direction, I have made some great friends and its free (unless you want high quality, FLAC, WAV. uploads, then they hit ya for 5 bucks a month), there is even a way around that (dropbox), I could hook ya up with a free month when you are ready/after you learn your way around and if you are interested.

the site is about to be revamped, a newer version will come out soon, this fall I think.

there are a couple other sites, Bandcamp is one, but none of them are like Kompoz, its more of a community.

-----------------------

cool tune, great scenery, I wish that was near me!!!

I am not playing with music atm, I have some health issues that are preventing me (tinnitus is one issue), too many years playing in bands and mix engineering for hours/weeks/months.

yes there is bad music, but there is less if you keep an open mind, most have lyrics and some are even blue mike.

https://www.kompoz.com/music/collaboration/635643/file/680254/1

:)

he-he-he

1 hour ago, mikechell said:

Sounds good, as long as you don't ruin it with lyrics.

Might get Lyrics but I'm sure It needs "More cow bell"!

6 minutes ago, xterrabill said:

yes we file share, there are some good players there but they can be a little hard to find/get, its give and take, the more you help others, the more they will help you, once you get established/known it is still hit or miss, not every song ends up good, you have to be picky with the contributors/ideas/auditions but not burn bridges.

I have worked with folks all over the world, even a grammy winner, no BS, bring your A game and you will be rewarded with some great players and have some of your tunes sound better then you could imagine if you have an open mind to the songs direction, I have made some great friends and its free (unless you want high quality, FLAC, WAV. uploads, then they hit ya for 5 bucks a month), there is even a way around that (dropbox), I could hook ya up with a free month when you are ready/after you learn your way around and if you are interested.

the site is about to be revamped, a newer version will come out soon, this fall I think.

there are a couple other sites, Bandcamp is one, but none of them are like Kompoz, its more of a community.

-----------------------

cool tune, great scenery, I wish that was near me!!!

I am not playing with music atm, I have some health issues that are preventing me (tinnitus is one issue), too many years playing in bands and mix engineering for hours/weeks/months.

yes there is bad music, but there is less if you keep an open mind, most have lyrics and some are even blue mike.

https://www.kompoz.com/music/collaboration/635643/file/680254/1

he-he-he

Thanks for all the info and solid advice.  Sounds like something I will check out. That song was cool. I like her voice and the Sax. 

6 minutes ago, Pbass said:

I like her voice

me too, good singers are like hens teeth, her daughter was just on "the kids voice" in Europe, sadly she didn't win.

6 minutes ago, xterrabill said:

me too, good singers are like hens teeth, her daughter was just on "the kids voice" in Europe, sadly she didn't win.

Oh man thats cool! Those shows are awesome. So much crazy undiscovered talent out there.