Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
xvigauge

Finishing Knots

I was one of those tyers in Townsend last weekend. We had a great time, and met a lot of nice people.

Back before I learned to do a hand whip finish, I would tie off a fly with 2 or 3 half hitches, and a drop of cement. It worked great.

Now, however, I do a 4 to 6 turn whip finish. It's not really any better, it just looks more professional, and, frankly, it's easier to do. I still add a drop of head cement, although it's not strictly necessary.

I think SHAN will lock the head in regardless. Three half-hitches IMO will build up the head more than a three turn whip finish, if that's important. Takes less time to do a whip finish tool than to do several half hitches.

I pretty much use a half-hitch for my smaller patterns. Like Capt Bob, I use a small drop of Krazy Glue to lock it, if I'm looking for a shiny head. A small drop of UV resin. Larger flies sometimes a half-hitch. More often than not if the fly has a large head I'll use a floss threader, make 3 or 4 thread wraps over it then pull the tag end under the wraps. Pretty much a whip finish. I've been doing it for so long it's quicker for me than using a whip finishing tool. I also use the same method on foam flies where the last tying step is adding silicone legs to the pattern.

Uh, if you wrap the thread around a half hitch tool multiple times before sliding off onto the hook, it is the same as a whip finish. You can't do it because the thread will bind up and knot before you can draw it tight. (Most of the time) But multiple half hitches is the same basic thing as a whip. To whip or not to whip, that is the question.

Not really. Do it with rope on a broom stick and you can see the difference.

I usually use a single 4-turn whip.

I used a few half hitches and a little head cement for years, and only had the occasional fly come unraveled after a few fish. Then I started using a whip finish, and never looked back. It's neater, just as quick (or quicker), and almost never comes undone. I use a drop of water based head cement on trout flies and super glue on saltwater stuff.

I typically whip finish....used to do it by hand, now use a tool....on smaller stuff when I am trying to minimize weight and or size, I use the super glue trick with a couple wraps....

Mike

I generally whip finish by hand, although have all the tools. By thwe way what does SHAN stand for?

Thanks Gene, don't know how I never picked that one up! Guess I must be getting too old

is SHAN really any better than the clear nail polish I get from the dollar store?

its thin, soaks in and seems to do a good job.

I buy 3 bottles for 3 bucks, one I let get thick, when it gets too thick I will add from a new bottle to thin it a little,

so I always have 3 around, one thin, one thick and one spare.

but I am really just a very novice tier imho.

I don't think SHAN is any better, it's just easier to type. I get the cheap stuff, too. SHAN is in a round bottle which makes it convenient. It's all the same stuff, or near enough.

Dollar Tree stuff for me.

The "Quick Dry" formulas are super thin and my favorite for tiny dabs throughout the fly and penetrating threads on the head.

The "Top Coat" formula is the thickest and makes quick work of building up a shiny head.

Usually 1 or 2 3-5 turn hand whip finishes depending on size. Usually use half hitch for traditional and parachute drys: 1 single, then 2 or 3 double. The tool helps push the hackle fibers out of the way. I only cement streamers and traditional wets, and then mainly for appearance.

Thanks, Bob H

When I'm tying what I'd call a "blind" finish or a really tight area on a small fly I use this trick from a video I watched some time ago. What do I consider a blind finish? The tie off UNDER a parachute hackle I use. The tight and buried final wrap behind a bead head. The really small area left on flies 20 and smaller. I do a normal whip finish, draw the thread down to the last 1/4 to 1/2 inch or so, then dab the double thread with a bit of super glue and draw it tight to finish. Gets CA into head and doesn't put a drop anywhere else even in those tight quarters.

About parachutes, I have a completed fly except for parachute hackle when I wind it down, then tie off underneath hackle with whip finisher and SA dabbed on last wrap. I don't tie hackle and wind to front of eye like many do.

For streamers and large flies I use UV. A couple of layers of UV are done in seconds and look as good or better than epoxy that has been on a turner drying for an hour. Beautiful heads.

professor.jpg

I whip finish, 3 or 4 turns then use high gloss lacquer. I half hitch between sections of the fly as I usually tie in stages. That is the way I was taught, to make durable flies, it is acceptable to have a fish shred a fly but not to have one unravel like the 5 and dime store flies used to. I use loon water based when traveling as my wife has asthma and fumes from anything else bothers her in the trailer. I agree that the cement is more for a glossy protective finish than a cement that holds everything together.