Fly Tying
DarrellP

Fly tying pioneers

Always will have a sweet spot for a neighbor or about 10 miles away when I was a boy and just starting to fly fish. Art Flick. Though all he takes credit for is the Red Quill.

http://www.amff.org/five-flick-flies/

Wow Sandan thanks for this article. It was great and I would encourage evrrybody to read it. I meet Art Flick at a TU dinner when I was a young man just out of college. It was an honor to spend a few minutes with him. This part of fly fishing and the knowledge of it is disappearing. You won't find it on you tube and reading anything longer than 120 words has become unfashionable. It saddens me.

Helen Shaw for without her book I would not have become a tyer. Self taught and her book was the only aid available at the time. Boy how times have changed.

Eric Leiser,Charlie Craven,Blacker and Kelson, Ron Blessing, Al Beatty, and Davie McPhail. All played a major role in my being able to tie flies correctly and are still huge inspirations.

Yes. Dave McPhail has some amazing videos. Superb

Terry and Roxanne Wilson,

Hidey, Leisinring, Bosworth (Coachman), Wilson (Professor), Skues

I have to say that Sawyer, Bosworth, Blessing, Halladay, Gapen, Wilson, Gartside, Kreh, Peckinpaugh, and Clouser have influenced me the most. I use their flies all the time.

Theodore Gordon. He got it all started on this side of the pond. Interesting character. Perhaps the only other fly tier that is more interesting and unusual is Louis Rhead but he was a Brit.

Goggle Louis Rhead Fly and check them out. If Salvador Dali were a fly tier.......

TJM beat me with Tom Nixon. Big, ugly, rubber legged bass fly (Calcasieu Pig Boat) that would make the dry sherry trout fly-fishermen wretch.

So I'll contribute H.G. Tapply and the spun deer hair surface bug.

And also a call out to Mary Orvis Marbury for Favorite Flies and their Histories (1892) to document the early years.

I also don't see Harry Murray yet. His Hellgramite and Strymph are my lead-off Chenango and Susquehanna River flies. There's something about ostrich fiber tails and smallmouth.