Fly Tying
flytire

do you tie daily?

Yes. I am makeing multi-hook saltwater flies right now.

I might go on a daily stretch now and then, and I might not tie for a month. Depends on a lot of things, eventually life will allow more free time that isn't already spoken for.

I usually tie up a few flies daily, especially if I stumble onto a new pattern I want to try out. I will tie a few of those everyday for awhile until some new (mostly new to me) pattern comes along. I have quite a few fly boxes (mostly Perrine aluminum of days gone by) so I currently have lots of room for more flies. I am an old guy with arthritis who does not get out much (I talk my GF into taking me to the National Park maybe once a week to some easily accessible spot where I can throw some nymph patterns at the small local trout) so I need something to do to help me occupy my time. Reading and fly tying takes care of that.

Joe

With 60 hour work week, wife, house, 6 grandchildren and working as a professional upright bassist on weekends free time for me is precious. I'm definitely a more prolific tier from November to April as the raw New England weather forces me to question how badly I want to catch trout. I enjoy tying and fly fishing equally so given a choice of a couple hours on the bench or a couple hours on the river, the weather generally makes the decision for me. 35 degree wind driven rain will usually lose to a glass of bourbon and dry warm bench. In the warmer months I tend to tie to replace flies lost in action. In the winter months I work on new patterns and techniques.

i should mention that there are days when tying flies, they just dont come out the way they should and other days when the vise collects more dust

No I don't. I thought I would once I retired, but my rod business takes priority over tying, so most of my tying is done during winter when fresh water is hard here in Ontario. I do visit this site almost daily to see all the great patterns, which leads me to take time out to try something new when I get out fishing.

I might go on a daily stretch now and then, and I might not tie for a month. Depends on a lot of things, eventually life will allow more free time that isn't already spoken for.

Yeah that's what I thought. When you can get up and do whatever you like you may just find you will be busier then ever. That's been my experience.

Yes everyday a minimum of 25 flies. I then take a car ride to the lake and as i do my cardio (walk) ( minimum of 8 miles) i offer my flies to fishermen. The hobby pays for it self!

At least twice as week to keep my core pattern box filled and ready to go. I call my core patterns the handful of patterns I use

every trip.