Fly Tying
flytire

August Flies From the Vise

8 hours ago, Sandan said:

First, don't offer criticism of any kind unless it's asked for, some folks don't appreciate it.

Second, on your Goddard's pack the spun hair more densely/tighter.  They'll float better and it's easier to trim. Do you trim with a razor blade?

Yeah, but I used scissors for those ones. My sharp razor blade stash is low and I haven't gotten around to ordering more. Maybe I'll sharpen the old ones so they work again.

9 hours ago, Mark Knapp said:

Some more mayflies.

Those look great Mark! I especially like the parachute fly--very buggy. Just curious, why are the top three coated with something (I assume UV resin?) and the bottom two are not?

4 hours ago, Justin H said:

Those look great Mark! I especially like the parachute fly--very buggy. Just curious, why are the top three coated with something (I assume UV resin?) and the bottom two are not?

I'm just trying a bunch of different things to see what I like the most. You'll notice, there are changes in all of them, different materials, different techniques. I coated some of the flies to hopefully make them more durable. I left the others un-coated to test them that way, see how long they last. They will all be fished. If they were just for looking at, I think I would have left them all un-coated. I think they look cleaner that way.

1 minute ago, Kimo said:

Photo of nymph using my phone, 2.5 enlargement with phone.
Fly was lit using my tying lamps and a mirror underneath.

117642429_3527002810644335_8731798317468

Kimo

Wow, that's crazy good.

4 minutes ago, Mark Knapp said:

Wow, that's crazy good.

Too much contrast but thanks.

Kimo

9 minutes ago, Kimo said:

Too much contrast but thanks.

Kimo

I can see the ramped up contrast but it's still crazy good.

Nice.  Too bad for me - had to buy a new cell phone last weekend but chinced out on the one with zoom

2 hours ago, Mark Knapp said:

I'm just trying a bunch of different things to see what I like the most. You'll notice, there are changes in all of them, different materials, different techniques. I coated some of the flies to hopefully make them more durable. I left the others un-coated to test them that way, see how long they last. They will all be fished. If they were just for looking at, I think I would have left them all un-coated. I think they look cleaner that way.

Thanks, that makes sense, I definitely agree that the un-coated ones look nicer.